Weekly...well, more every 4-5 days.
Our extreme weather waves rarely last more than a week.
I believe @ChickenCanoe recommends weekly where long term extreme heat happens.
Thanks. I actually deleted that post because later in the thread you explained it. LOL I should read everything before I ask questions. I have electrolytes on hand but have not made regular use of them. I put it in their favorite watering jug once and it turned the water orange. Then they wouldn't touch it, because of course...it was different. :confused:

L
I stopped with ice water(saw a bird gorge on the ice water and stagger around with an ice cream headache-seriously, I thought she was gonna keel over) so just the big chunks of ice now.
IMO, no reason ever for ACV...or any probiotics.
Most chicken feeds already have 'probiotics' in them(read the fine print).

This is my hot weather regime:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
Literally making space in my freezer now. Who needs old bananas anyway. Thank you again for the tips!!

Oh no. That could certainly be behind her issues. Sounds stressful. We almost picked up a rooster the other day and your post is affirming our decision not to (thank you). We didn't want to disrupt an already peaceful flock at the expense of Buffy's heart.

...We may go with our original plan of putting up a "no cocks allowed" sign on their coop.

There's a chance your roo may grow out of his rowdiness. But it sounds like, in this case, he might be better placed elsewhere.

Did you notice your hen growing at a faster rate than her flock mates early on?
Actually, she didn’t grow any faster than her mates, although they are all different breeds. She is still rather small at six months, but no smaller than the other females either. Did your hen grow faster? I’m starting to wonder if she is just more bothered by the heat than my others.

Regarding the roo, I never purposely get one, but occasionally they slip one in as a pullet. I have made the heartbreaking decision to put him down, and donate his body to a teaching college. It’s not fair to him to keep him separate from the girls, and I know he’s on,y doing what his hormones dictate, but again today he went at me and he doesn’t even have spurs yet. I’d say if your flock is content, don’t mess with it!

Actually, she didn’t grow any faster than her mates, although they are all different breeds. She is still rather small at six months, but no smaller than the other females either. Did your hen grow faster? I’m starting to wonder if she is just more bothered by the heat than my others.

Regarding the roo, I never purposely get one, but occasionally they slip one in as a pullet. I have made the heartbreaking decision to put him down, and donate his body to a teaching college. It’s not fair to him to keep him separate from the girls, and I know he’s on,y doing what his hormones dictate, but again today he went at me and he doesn’t even have spurs yet. I’d say if your flock is content, don’t mess with it!

Yes, as a chick it was like she was on steroids or something. Her growth really out-paced the others, though now they've all leveled out (minus my super petite EE). She actually ended up getting smaller last week while she was sick--though I'm happy to report she's gained it back. Anyway, Chance the rooster (that link I included earlier in the post) also was always way bigger than his litter mates. I thought there could be something there re: growth rate and stress on the heart/organs.

How is your hen's appetite?

That must be tough about the roo--we were worried about that with our current (and first-ever) flock, but we lucked out and had all ladies. I think sometimes the cons of having a rooster can outweigh the pros in certain situations, and it sounds like you are making the right choice--however tough it is. All the best.

Yes, as a chick it was like she was on steroids or something. Her growth really out-paced the others, though now they've all leveled out (minus my super petite EE). She actually ended up getting smaller last week while she was sick--though I'm happy to report she's gained it back. Anyway, Chance the rooster (that link I included earlier in the post) also was always way bigger than his litter mates. I thought there could be something there re: growth rate and stress on the heart/organs.

How is your hen's appetite?

That must be tough about the roo--we were worried about that with our current (and first-ever) flock, but we lucked out and had all ladies. I think sometimes the cons of having a rooster can outweigh the pros in certain situations, and it sounds like you are making the right choice--however tough it is. All the best.
Ok, then I’m ruling out her heart. I listened to it again, and it sounds normal to me. I had the opportunity to talk to a teaching vet and she said heart problems aren’t that common, especially in our area, although she did ask about her size. She said heart problems are prevalent in high altitudes. I thank you so much for walking me through this, and I wish you the best with Buffy and the rest of the flock. They sure steal a piece of your heart, don’t they?

Back
Top Bottom