Heartland Hatchery :(

I bought 8 chicks and 2 ducklings from Heartland last August. All were very healthy. I lost three to predators at six months, and three found new homes last night and last month due to being roosters. The two hens I have and the two ducks, are healthy and giving me 5-6 eggs each a week.

Depending on where we are heading with our chicken program, I would have no problems buying from them again. As a matter of fact, I am staying away from my farm store this weekend, because I believe he is having chick days there. I am afraid if I go, I will come home with more. I don't trust myself.

Well this is weird. Having never heard of Heartland Hatchery, even though it sounds like they are in my general vicinity, I googled them and came to this page: http://kansascity.citysearch.com/profile/5862263/amsterdam_mo/heartland_hatchery.html where it says CitySearch heard the hatchery closed. Is this the one you all are referring to, or is there another Heartland Hatchery?

I just read an ad on craigslist the this heartland hatchery is having sales today in Topeka and Emporia, so they are still open. Someone on here mentioned their phone number and it is the same number today as back then :) Just Saying-----

You are correct. We are still open. A few years ago in order to gain control of our website we had to change our .com to a .netAs far as the City Search goes, there are several search engines out there that use that technique to gain advertisment. In order for us to fix the information on their search engine, we have to pay them. I am trying to get as many fixed as possible, but as soon as i fix one, another site opens up. Thanks for adding your response to this thread. It does help to get the truth out there.

Jackie and Alan Nieder
Heartland Hatchery

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an fyi... I live in Amsterdam, and we've bought all our chicks from you.we've lost a few, but we have 24 that are laying now we average 12-15 eggs per day. We love Heartland Hatchery!

I know this is an old thread but I think it's important to keep reviews about this hatchery (or any hatchery for that matter) current. I first learned of Heartland Hatchery last spring through their craigslist ads. Heartland is about an hour away from me and his chick days are held nearly every weekend at several locations anywhere from 30 min. to 1 1/2 hour drive from me. I really liked the idea of buying from a local hatchery rather than having chicks mailed to me, so I started researching their track record and that's what brought me to this thread. I was already a lurker on BYC at that time but had not yet joined.

Now for my experience with Heartland. I'll admit that I was genuinely concerned after reading this thread, but there was enough positive input to encourage me to at least check out his chicks in person. I wasn't ready for my chicks until late summer and it was pretty hot. I knew what breeds I wanted and how many so I called Allen to find out if he would have what I wanted at his next chick day. I got his voice mail and even though I told him there was no need to call me back, he did return my call within a couple of hours. Allen assured me that he would have plenty of chicks available in the breeds I wanted.

On that particular weekend Allen's schedule had him in Paola on Friday which is about 45 minutes from Heartland. Then on Saturday he was in Warrensburg in the morning (about 1 1/2 hours from Heartland), then in Harrisonville in the afternoon (about an hour from Warrensburg). Harrisonville was the only location I was going to be able to make it to. I figured that if his chicks were weak or ill they would surely be showing signs of distress after being dragged all that distance in the heat for two days. When I arrived Allen was very friendly and professional, his chicks were all bright eyed, alert and very active. They were chirping like crazy and jumping from box to box. Allen had his hands full trying to keep them sorted. I may have had no experience with chickens at that point, but it didn't require an ornithologist to tell that those chicks were all very healthy.

I wanted only five pullets but everyone told me to expect to lose one or two and expect a surprise roo or two, so we got eight to be safe. As promised, Allen had plenty of chicks in the breeds I wanted. We experienced none of the common chick illnesses and they did fantastic from day 1. We are now 5 months in with no issues, have sustained zero losses and all of them turned out to be pullets as promised. They are laying well too. I have no regrets about buying from Heartland and when I'm ready to add to my flock next year I will not hesitate to go back to Heartland.

The one and only negative point I would give is that the Amerucana I asked for turned out to be an Easter Egger. This is probably my own fault however because I didn't realize at the time that most hatcheries sell Easter Eggers as "Amerucana" and I should have let him know that I was specifically wanting a true Amerucana. Having said that, I wouldn't trade my little EE for anything, she is a really neat bird.

I just went to the chick day in emporia ks and I bought 11 chicks and Allen gave me a free baby Cochin chick I really recommend heartland hatchery he was extremely nice to every single person

Thanks again to everyone posting their positive responses. As a small business negative claims can be harmful and scary for us. It is very heart warming to see the more positive ones. We do try to do everything we can to make our customers happy. Happy customers turn into repeat customers and let's face it folks people in business want to stay in business. Thank you all so much for telling your stories. We appreciate each and every one of you!!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom