Heat exhaustion...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by zsazsa chick, Jul 20, 2011.

1. zsazsa chick

zsazsa chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    The funny farm
    Ah, yes. The dog days of summer. Wait- isn't that supposed to be in August? Ok, ok, fill me in a little, here: we...we're still in...July, aren't we? Or maybe I fell asleep and didn't wake up for, like 2 weeks? Either way, I have heat exhaustion, both literally and figuratively. Amazing, right? Figuratively: I am sick and tired of the heat. Literally: I am sick and tired, which translates into... HEAT EXHAUSTION!!! *da-da-dum...* Yep. Long story short, I was in a golf tournament Monday (which obviously wasn't exactly, well...a good idea or anything...considering it was 110 heat index!) and...alas, hear I am, sick and tired of the heat, and sick and tired because of the heat. Figure that one out. I was actually supposed to be in another tournament today, but I (feeling rather smart, or...should I say, smarter than I was Monday...) withdrew, and here I am, complaining about the dog days of summer that shouldn't have arrived until next month. Sigh...is there an insane asylum nearby...?

2. chawk

chawk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    Back in June we had a very short heatwave here and I was still working. I drive a schoolbus and get laid off for the summer. But yeah... heat exhaustion. I get it. Totally. AND we go back to work in... AUGUST [​IMG] sooooooooooooo yep, and now after a gorgeous enough week I could turn the a/c off we are going to be 100+ over the weekend. A few days ago I was lovin summer and now? Nope. Sorry about your golf tournament. I don't play but I know golfers love golf!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Heat exhaustion is a VERY REAL illness, and should be treated as a near emergency; it is a short distance from heat exhaustion to heat stroke which is absolutely an emergency. You do NOT appear to be suffering from heat exhaustion, merely from being sick and tired of the weather. While I can certainly echo your feelings there, how about rephrasing?

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I actually worry about this with my husband all the time - heat index is still over 100 here, and tomorrow it's to get to 110. He's outside, wearing protective gear (hardhat, gloves, heavy jeans, boots, protective shirt), and climbing trees and running a chainsaw. Since the storms on Monday night, he's worked 16 hours yesterday and is working 16 hours today in this (restoring power outages). Some of the work trucks don't have AC. They take breaks, but it's just to sit in the truck with the vents on.

I don't know how he comes home alive each day after this, but I'm thankful for it. [​IMG]

Soo....you could be worse [​IMG]

5. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:As long as he stays hydrated he'll be ok. When I was in the Army we trained in the heat with protective gear on that was designed to keep out nerve gas for a little while. The Sergeants were responsible for making sure everyone drank water while they were watching. Did the same thing with our socks during the winter. Had to keep 3 pairs in our pockets and change them every 2 hours as a group. If anyone got heat exhaustion or worse the sergeant would get an article 15 and get demoted.

I drove by a guy today that was putting up traffic lights and thought how hot it must be for him. I imagine the protective gear for high voltage electrical work must be really hot. i think I would rather that than going out in a blizzard to put downed lines back up.

6. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    I had heat exhaustion earlier this week, when I stupidly tried to keep up my usual hyperactive schedule during the heatwave. Headache, nausea, signs of low blood pressure when standing, faintness, and sweating buckets. I've learned my lesson, I'm taking it easy until it gets a little cooler.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am exhausted with the heat already as well. I also get heat exhaustion too frequently. I have a disorder that means I don't have many sweat glands. Since sweating is how people cool off, this california heat and I don't get along well. I'm lucky though, most people with my condition have no sweat glands and other physical symptoms which I don't. It took moving from Alaska to Virginia in the middle of summer for us to discover there was something wrong with me.

8. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:I think it's all that fur on your face.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Once you had it, your body does not adapt as well it did. I went down at a CW reenactment with heat exhaustion and it was hard to bounce back. So when I was out in extreme heat in clothes so heavy, it pays to pay attention to your body.

10. zsazsa chick

zsazsa chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    The funny farm
    Quote:So sorry for the confusion. I was just trying to make LIGHT of the situation. Yes, sorry, but I DID have heat exhaustion, and I DO still have some symptoms. I shan't post about my health problems anymore, though, because I guess people just take it too seriously. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by