Heat exhaustion...

Quote:
I think it's all that fur on your face.

yuckyuck.gif

When I was very young, back when dinosaurs were much larger and didn't gather around my feet clucking for treats, I suffered heat stroke. That event mucked up my personal thermostat really badly for some time, and even now, 47 years later, I have a wonky reaction to heat. It's especially troublesome in winter time, when everybody is bundled up and the office temperature is artificially raised to compensate for the "chill" of less than 60 degrees outside.
roll.png

My personal comfort zone is 55 to 65 degrees. I am still comfy without an overcoat down to 45 degrees, and I don't start feeling too horribly awful until 75 degrees..... so you can imagine I am miserable in the Summer here in Central California.

Quote:
DH got hypothermia ten years ago. And has not been able to tolerate cold, but he doesn't tolerate extremes of heat well any more either. He works outside in protective gear. A few months back we had a hot spell and they were in full hazmat gear. They were supposed to do 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off. DH spotted one guy in full gear not sweating and called it for the emergency it was. They stripped him and shoved him into a shower but his heart stopped a few seconds later. He lived. If DH hadn't spotted the lack of sweat he probably would not have.

Heat exhaustion has lingering effects. And the older you get the longer they linger!!

So, aware of all of this, what am I doing tomorrow? In an expected 110 heat index? Taking 8 girls to a theme park.
he.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Trust me I will be alert to them and myself!!
hide.gif
So not looking forward to this!

Quote:
Yes it is very real and until you've driven a school bus for 6+ hours a day in a heatwave with no a/c you don't know how awful it is to HAVE to do it day after day. THAT was what I was pointing out to the OP(who BTW, pointed out he was suffering heat exhaustion!!!!Very clearly written by OP) was that after a day of golf yep I get it. I drank 4 bottles of Gatorade a day not including water, was sick as a dog every single evening and had to get up and do it again the next day. The heat wave in question made national news when one of our field trips went wrong. Since my DH and I both work in places where heat is part of the job and the ONLY thing you can do is blech about it, thats what we do... that and do everything we can to cool ourselves whenever we can. He is right now working in an asphalt division. I'm lucky I'm home right now. But he isn't. And he works on... ASPHALT! He is out there every day in this heat hauling the equipment.

What I'm sick and tired of is heat at work and no escape from it. I'm dreading school opening in August. Every year it get tougher to do it. The cold I can handle. The heat I simply can't. I was making light of it because its all you can do sometimes. No offense was meant, and I was very clear what my occupation was. I was very clear that we had already battled a heatwave. i was merely being empathetic of someone who is suffering right now as I was in June.

According to the CDC, heat related deaths account for more deaths than those who perish from tornadoes, hurricanes, lightening, and flooding, combined.

Arizona's heat related deaths are documented to be 3-7x higher than the average across the U.S.

OP, glad you're ok...and hoping everybody watches for the signs and stays safe.

The theme parks that are full here every day are the water parks...which can be tricky on the body in this heat.

I found this on WebMD and thought under the circumstances I should post it:

"What are the symptoms of heat exhaustion?

Individuals with heat exhaustion tend to have symptoms such as:

profuse sweating,

weakness,

muscle cramps,

headache, and

nausea and vomiting.
As dehydration increases from the loss of body water, lightheadedness may occur and fainting (syncope) may occur especially, if the affected individual stands up quickly (orthostatic hypotension). A low grade fever also may be present.

When should an individual seek medical care for heat exhaustion

Heat exhaustion usually can be treated at home as long as the affected individual can maintain proper hydration. Water, electrolyte replacement solutions or sport drinks are appropriate to consume. If nausea and vomiting prevent rehydration, the individual should seek medical attention.

Muscles cramps can be severe and if stretching and rehydration cannot relieve recurrent cramps, medical care may be necessary.

It is important to recognize that if the person stops sweating, becomes confused, or has a seizure, heat stroke, a life-threatening condition, may be developing. Emergency medical services should be activated immediately (call 911 if available) and move the affected individual to a cooler place, remove their clothing, and try to cool the body with cold compresses, ice, and oscillating fans.

How is heat exhaustion diagnosed?

Diagnosis of heat exhaustion is made by circumstantial evidence:

1.history (exercising or working in a hot environment)

2.symptoms (excess sweating, headache, weakness, nausea and vomiting)

3.physical examination (signs of dehydration)
Laboratory tests are not mandatory unless the health care practitioner is concerned about electrolyte imbalance or significant dehydration.

However, it is important for the health care practitioner to consider other diagnoses, since there are many infectious illnesses that accompany a fever, weakness, nausea and vomiting. This is especially the case in the elderly and very young. In these groups, heat exhaustion may be a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that other more serious illnesses should be considered before settling on heat as the cause of the problem. Careful history and physical examination may be all that is needed."

On the worst day in June I also noticed along with leg cramps, I didn't need to use the rest room. I think my body used all the liquid I drank to rehydrate and sweat(My clothes were WET with sweat... not damp WET). It wasn't until I was home and had cooled off for a few hours and drank more Gatorade that I needed to "go". SO, if you aren't used to the heat, read the above symptoms and keep a close eye out on your loved ones if possible. And keep your sense of humour... the heat can't last. If you Google Heat Exhaustion on WebMD you can find the entire article. Might be a good read for all of us in this heat wave.

Quote:
Wow, really? Though the OP was serious about being affected by the heat, they were also being tongue-in-cheek....

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!

Tongue-in-cheek is a phrase used as a figure of speech to imply that a statement or other production is humorously intended and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort.[1] In the past, it may also have indicated contempt but that is no longer common.[2] By 1842 the phrase had acquired its contemporary meaning similar to "take what I am saying with a grain of salt", indicating that a statement was not meant to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, really? Though the OP was serious about being affected by the heat, they were also being tongue-in-cheek....

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!

Tongue-in-cheek is a phrase used as a figure of speech to imply that a statement or other production is humorously intended and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort.[1] In the past, it may also have indicated contempt but that is no longer common.[2] By 1842 the phrase had acquired its contemporary meaning similar to "take what I am saying with a grain of salt", indicating that a statement was not meant to be taken seriously.

THANK YOU! Thank you for understanding, at least one person, lol. Yes, please visit my other threads...I am not to be taken seriously. I keep my tongue in my cheek most of the time.
tongue.png
It just takes a while to get to know me and my strange humor which some people don't find all that humorous...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom