heat for adults

metallica21156

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
I have 3 pekins and 3 runners. They do have a coop o put them in when its 20 or below. My question is about heat. Ive been using a heat lamp but theres the chance of fire so im looking at other options. Should i install a heater and make sure coop stays 20 degrees or has anyone used a heating pad?

I have 3 pekins and 3 runners. They do have a coop o put them in when its 20 or below. My question is about heat. Ive been using a heat lamp but theres the chance of fire so im looking at other options. Should i install a heater and make sure coop stays 20 degrees or has anyone used a heating pad?
I don't use heat lamps because of the chance of fire. I did buy a Sweeter heater from My Pet Chicken and have it on in the duck/chicken house. It doesn't put out much heat but they really don't need heat if they have a draft free house with good ventilation to get rid if excess moisture from all of them breathing.

I live in Canada and Brrrrrrr it gets really cold......Tonight's low is going to be around -28 Celsius....My Ducks are in the garage for the night under a heat lamp......Generally they are outside.....It is Wind that Ducks can not take and the freezing cold ground....Wind blocks and straw are all they require to remain happy......Your temps are very mild for your Ducks....They will be fine as long as they are out of the Wind and have a nice shelter........Ducks do not need water at night......I take both feed and water away when they go to bed.....I have a heated Bucket for my Ducks but they hate it, I am back to hauling water three times a day and use rubber stock bowls.......

Silly Quakers!!!

Cheers!

I looked it up and about as low as it gets here is what your low tonight is. I know ive read that about 15f they are fine with nothing. Just worried about below that.

I looked it up and about as low as it gets here is what your low tonight is. I know ive read that about 15f they are fine with nothing. Just worried about below that.
My only suggestion is to do for your Ducks as you feel is the right thing to do....Mine right now are in my garage under a heat lamp sleeping on a bed of straw............Totally your Call....They are your Ducks....I heat mine when it is cold....We all sleep really well.....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom