heat for adults

@chickens really
When you lock them in do you just shut the door on em?
My ducks have stopped sleeping in their house (which is in their enclosure) at night as it was coldera me um thinking I need to start closing them in the house. Any pointers?
Thanks!
ps I brought them into my garage bc it's so cold tonight and don't think they are sleeping in their house...we need to fix his. Haha.

The only reason I have food and water [heated buckets inside right now is because of the frigid wind and down into single digits I locked everyone up at 3pm yesterday once it is back to normal 20's no food and water inside since they won't be going to bed so early. Last frigid temps a week ago I had to use the shovel to pry the bucket lose from where the Runners had splashed all their water out and the bucket froze to the container it was sitting in.What a mess. lol
@bydhatch
start now training you ducks to go in at night they herd very easy and you'll rest better knowing they are safe and out of the weather.

Ive got mine to go to the outside of the coop and then i place them in. The runners will walk up the ramp but the pekins wont. I put them in at 10 at night and lower the ramp at 6:30am. I dont give them food but i was water and the entire floor inside is wet. So im gonna start leaving the water outside. Any idea on how long in the winter they can go with no water?

@chickens really
When you lock them in do you just shut the door on em?
My ducks have stopped sleeping in their house (which is in their enclosure) at night as it was coldera me um thinking I need to start closing them in the house. Any pointers?
Thanks!
ps I brought them into my garage bc it's so cold tonight and don't think they are sleeping in their house...we need to fix his. Haha.
Yes, I shut the door on them.....They settle down and go to sleep.......I shut them in when it is getting dark outside...I say bedtime and they wattle into the house.....I let them outside to a fresh bowl of water and feed as soon as the sun comes up....Happy Ducks......

Cheers!

Ive got mine to go to the outside of the coop and then i place them in. The runners will walk up the ramp but the pekins wont. I put them in at 10 at night and lower the ramp at 6:30am. I dont give them food but i was water and the entire floor inside is wet. So im gonna start leaving the water outside. Any idea on how long in the winter they can go with no water?
All night they can do without water........They will be fine.....

Cheers!

@metallica21156 Are they secure staying out that late after dark? predators begin to roam at dusk.

They have 2 pens. One is chicken wire top and bottom which is where they normally are after dark. The other area is more open no bottom or top but coop and entire duck area is surrounded by electric chicken wire fence.

They have 2 pens. One is chicken wire top and bottom which is where they normally are after dark. The other area is more open no bottom or top but coop and entire duck area is surrounded by electric chicken wire fence.
That's good to know and Welcome to BYC I just noticed you are pretty new to BYC
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom