Heat Lamp Anxiety is Crippling Me

noahs_flock

Songster
Dec 12, 2017
Texas
Howdy.

I have been around here for a few years, long enough to know people have strong feelings on heat lamps, heating pads, etc. I have always used the Brinsea EcoGlow indoors with ambient temperatures from 68-70 (minimum ambient temp is 50 degrees for Brinsea).
However, I have decided to brood my 30-40 (not sure, cause, chicken math :oops:) chicks outdoors this time. We will have lows in the high 40s, occasionally getting down to 32 degrees. Therefore, my plan was to use a heat lamp to heat ambient temperature to 50-60 degrees and let the Brinsea EcoGlow do the rest of the work (I have two of the 35 chick models).

The brooder will be my old coop, a large OverEz coop that has this electrical package installed:
https://overezchickencoop.com/products/electrical-heat-package

The light socket is drilled into the ceiling. I also am looking into a bulb that comes with a cage in the event of a fall. Any other safety precautions I should take? Any other methods besides a heat lamp to raise ambient temperatures to 60s?

Thanks... extremely paralyzed at thought of burning down my coop, but I feel I have a more professional setup than those that burn down... not sure though. Just want to keep my chicks alive at night. No more brooding indoors.

That does look like a professional setup! I couldn't tell, how far is the bulb away from the floor, where the chicks will be? Is it close enough to keep them warm? You could possibly mount the bulb on the wall so it'll be closer to the chicks, but without the guard on it, you might not want to do that. I've also used the oil-filled electric radiant heaters. The radiator would be on the floor, so you'd have to put hardware cloth and/or some boards (about 6 inches tall) around it to keep the bedding away from it, and that might be worse than a heat lamp depending on how the chicks throw their bedding. However, I've used heat lamps outside extensively without problems. I hang them up by this bent-wire piece that they come with. I've never used their clamps. This gives me flexibility to adjust the height. Back to your setup, they do make a "clamshell"-like cord cover that fits around the plug coming out of the bottom of your coop, and the extension cord that your plug, plugs into.

ETA: I had missed the whole part about using the bulb to supplement, to bring the ambient temp up to 50, to be within spec for the brinsea. Sorry! I think that's a great idea. I'd do that since you already have it. Disregard the heat lamp and radiator stuff. I think you've got a great idea!

Last edited:
I use a heating pad method, and life couldn't be easier! I am in Northern Ontario Canada and have always put my day olds straight out to a brooder in my coop from as early as March, to November. I used to use heat lamps until I read about the momma heating pad brooder idea on here.
I have 3 week olds out there with it now with below freezing temperatures, doing fantastic!
20201020_172253.jpg

I use a heating pad method, and life couldn't be easier! I am in Northern Ontario Canada and have always put my day olds straight out to a brooder in my coop from as early as March, to November. I used to use heat lamps until I read about the momma heating pad brooder idea on here.
I have 3 week olds out there with it now with below freezing temperatures, doing fantastic!View attachment 2394914
I love the heating pad method, I just do not know if I want to invest another $50-100 into another heating device when I have two of these:
https://www.brinsea.com/p-620-ecoglow-safety-1200-chick-brooder.aspx

Is your heating pad anything special since it has to heat in below-freezing weather? I would just use only my Brinsea in the coop but worried it cannot get hot enough in 40 degree weather.

That does look like a professional setup! I couldn't tell, how far is the bulb away from the floor, where the chicks will be? Is it close enough to keep them warm? You could possibly mount the bulb on the wall so it'll be closer to the chicks, but without the guard on it, you might not want to do that. I've also used the oil-filled electric radiant heaters. The radiator would be on the floor, so you'd have to put hardware cloth and/or some boards (about 6 inches tall) around it to keep the bedding away from it, and that might be worse than a heat lamp depending on how the chicks throw their bedding. However, I've used heat lamps outside extensively without problems. I hang them up by this bent-wire piece that they come with. I've never used their clamps. This gives me flexibility to adjust the height. Back to your setup, they do make a "clamshell"-like cord cover that fits around the plug coming out of the bottom of your coop, and the extension cord that your plug, plugs into.

ETA: I had missed the whole part about using the bulb to supplement, to bring the ambient temp up to 50, to be within spec for the brinsea. Sorry! I think that's a great idea. I'd do that since you already have it. Disregard the heat lamp and radiator stuff. I think you've got a great idea!
Howdy. Apologize for replying to the person who posted after you first... I did not even see your post. I promise not ignoring you! But yes, the bulb would be at last 5 feet off ground away from chicks which I hope will raise to 60s (plan to test in a week when colder weather). Glad to hear you think it looks professional-ish.

I will get a clamshell cover for cord, thanks. Always wanting to make things safer.

Thanks again for the reply and thought out post.

I am not opposed to MHP method, just want to try to use my heating plate if possible to save money.

I love the heating pad method, I just do not know if I want to invest another $50-100 into another heating device when I have two of these:
https://www.brinsea.com/p-620-ecoglow-safety-1200-chick-brooder.aspx

Is your heating pad anything special since it has to heat in below-freezing weather? I would just use only my Brinsea in the coop but worried it cannot get hot enough in 40 degree weather.
I dont have any experience with the Brinsea, but looking at it I would say it definitely would need to be skirted to be used like a heating pad over a basket.
My chicks tend to snuggle toward the back away from the open end. If it was open all around it would definitely not be the same effect.

I dont have any experience with the Brinsea, but looking at it I would say it definitely would need to be skirted to be used like a heating pad over a basket.
My chicks tend to snuggle toward the back away from the open end. If it was open all around it would definitely not be the same effect.
Do you think I could do a skirt and towel or whatever over the plate to retain heat inside and have it act as the "Cave" like system the mama heating pads do?

I have always used the Brinsea EcoGlow indoors with ambient temperatures from 68-70 (minimum ambient temp is 50 degrees for Brinsea).
However, I have decided to brood my 30-40 (not sure, cause, chicken math :oops:) chicks outdoors this time. We will have lows in the high 40s, occasionally getting down to 32 degrees. Therefore, my plan was to use a heat lamp to heat ambient temperature to 50-60 degrees and let the Brinsea EcoGlow do the rest of the work (I have two of the 35 chick models).

If you have some time before the chicks get here, I suggest you set up both of the EcoGlows in your coop, then sit a thermometer at chick-height near where the feed & water will be. The brooders may give off enough heat to bring the ambient temperature in the coop up over 50, all by themselves. (I do not know if they will or not, which is why I suggest checking.)

And whatever the temperature with two EcoGlows in the coop, it will be a little warmer when the chicks are there, because they all produce a bit of body heat, even from the first day.

I love my Brinsea heat brooder but I’ve only used mine in the house. But you might try using a cozy chicken heat plate that can be mounted on the wall or just stand it up. You could put the cozy chicken plate on the back side of the brinse brooder plate so they can cuddle up to it. It can have 0 clearance so it’s very safe to use! I will mention that the tractor store has a heat plate but I read the reviews and ppl said it got too hot and either singed or caused burns on the chicks!! That’s why I decided not to get one. I used the cozy chicken plate for some young bantam chicks one year and they cuddled right next to it!! I love them both because they work and I don’t have to worry about a fire. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom