heat lamp bulb alert

Just wanted to say I am sorry for the terrible loss of your chickens and thankyou for the info you have provided for us. But I did want to mention to the people on here before you start thinking you have to return your bulbs look more closely into the bulb you purchased. I for one thought the same thing I had just purchased two brand new bulbs but realized that mine are SPLATTERPROOF! not coated with PTFE but with hardened Pyrex made by HAVELLS which are sold by Murray McMurray Hatchery. They state in the warning bulletin that any of the bulbs they carry are safe.
Hope this helps alot of people from worrying.

Thanks Saskfarmgirl, I did more research yesterday on the bulbs I purchased. They are 'SLI Lighting' brand 250 watt infrared red heating lamp bulbs. The box says they are "Splatterproof! Hardened Pyrex glass designed not to shatter if contacted by liquids". They are safe and are not the 'Shatterproof' bulbs that are coated or layered with PTFE.
I'm so relieved cause my chicks are in a brooder inside our home and I don't want my family breathing the toxic fumes from bad bulbs...let alone my chicks!
sickbyc.gif

Dang it, I'm struggling. I want to switch to a red bulb in my duck house, but I can't confirm if the brand and type are safe.

It is a 250W red colored infrared bulb made by Havells. It is "SPLATTERPROOF! Hardened borosilicate glass designed not to shatter if contacted by liquids"

They sell them like crazy at a quasi-feedstore here in town and I haven't heard any reports of birds being fumed by these. As far as I can tell, borosilicate is pyrex, which I think is safe for use with birds. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't use anything splatter proof, shatter proof, or anything along those lines.

That's how I've been leaning too for the last month. But I really wanted to switch to a red bulb at night so they could get a better night's rest than with the white light I've been using on cold nights. This is the only red bulb I could find. My ducks are beginning to bite at each other so I think it might have something to do with the lighting.

I found that Murray McMurray Hatchery sells this exact bulb which eases my worries a bit. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/infrared_heat_bulb.html

I have decided to try it out tonight. I will give an update in the morning.
fl.gif

Dang it, I'm struggling. I want to switch to a red bulb in my duck house, but I can't confirm if the brand and type are safe.

It is a 250W red colored infrared bulb made by Havells. It is "SPLATTERPROOF! Hardened borosilicate glass designed not to shatter if contacted by liquids"

They sell them like crazy at a quasi-feedstore here in town and I haven't heard any reports of birds being fumed by these. As far as I can tell, borosilicate is pyrex, which I think is safe for use with birds. Anyone know for sure?

I used this bulb all night for the first time and my 2-month old ducks seem to be fine this morning!

That's how I've been leaning too for the last month. But I really wanted to switch to a red bulb at night so they could get a better night's rest than with the white light I've been using on cold nights. This is the only red bulb I could find. My ducks are beginning to bite at each other so I think it might have something to do with the lighting.

I found that Murray McMurray Hatchery sells this exact bulb which eases my worries a bit. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/infrared_heat_bulb.html

I have decided to try it out tonight. I will give an update in the morning.
fl.gif

If a pretty reputable hatchery sells it then I'm sure it's fine. I get my red lights from Tractor Supply. They're not splatter proof, but I don't have ducks so it's not a concern for me.

Back
Top Bottom