Heat Lamp Heat Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ourltlflock, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ourltlflock

ourltlflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I was wondering, I have a regular Home Depot Lamp (with the clamp on it) when I have a 100W bulb in it, the socket part is cookin'. I couldn't even imagine a 250w bulb in it. Is that normal? The lamp itself is new. I'm a little scared to leave this thing on and leave the house. My chicks will be here this Friday the 21st.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Mine gets pretty hot too.

I would wonder if it isn't faulty...... I think I can still touch the base on mine after it has been on for awhile, even though I can't get anywhere close to touching the bulb.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    If the socket that the bulb screws into is the brown plastic it shouldn't have higher than 150 watt bulb in it. If it is a ceramic socket it is rated for up to 300 watts. There should be a sticker inside the lamp that gives the bulb size rating. And yes, a 100 watt bulb will get everything around it hot.

1 person likes this.
  4. ourltlflock

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Yes, it is the brown plastic socket. So, a 100w won't burn the house down? It's placed on the screen over the top of the brooder..

Maybe I can find a ceramic one before tomorrow night...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would get the ceramic one, much safer.

1 person likes this.
  6. ourltlflock

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the info! I think Petsmart/Petco has them in stock. [​IMG]

7. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    It shouldn't burn the house down if it is setting on a wire screen. Just don't let it contact anything else. I use some of them like you have but usually only with 60 watt bulbs in my chick nursery which is in the house.

8. ourltlflock

Jan 2, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I have mine in the house also. Been testing the lamp to get the right amount of heat at the floor. Using a 75w bulb, it gets really hot and I've only left it on for a few hours for testing purposes.

9. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    If you end up going into (or passing by) a hardware store I would pick up a dimmer cord too. It will allow you to adjust the output on the heat lamp up or down without moving it. They are only a few bucks and they will make your life easier!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would be worried about an electrical fire if the clamp light overloads/overheats too much. I bought the wrong light at first too, then went back and got the one with the ceramic specifically for the heat bulb rather than the plastic. I also bought the 125w heat light instead of the 250w.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by