Heat lamp help

Kharris75

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2018
My son just hatched chicks in his classroom and we got two. We are first timers and don’t want to mess this up. I got a 75w red reptile heat lamp and have them in a plastic bin with paper towels, food and water. My thermometer on the side of the bin reads 84. The chicks hatched within the last 4 days. Is this too cold? Do I need a bigger lamp and a bigger box as well? They will move to a friend’s coop when big enough as we aren’t allowed to have them in our neighborhood.

How are the chicks acting? I start generally at 85-90. I use their behaviors to tell whether the temperature is right for them after the initial setup. They should be evenly spread doing different things. If they are on the outside of the brooder they are too hot. Grouped under the light standing too cold. Loud peeping also indicates they are uncomfortable.

Like Oldhen said, let the chicks tell ya how they are doing. Believe me, you quickly learn the difference between basic cheeps and uncomfortable or trouble cheeps. Kinda like learning a tiny humans sounds.

If they seem cold, (huddling together as close to the light as they can get) you can put a small box in, near the hottest part, for them to huddle together in. Or you can make a wool hen, or a heating pad hen. To me, these two option are better than adding wattage to the light.

Is the brooder covered at all? You can add a towel over the box, away from the light to help hold some of the heat in.

How are the chicks acting? I start generally at 85-90. I use their behaviors to tell whether the temperature is right for them after the initial setup. They should be evenly spread doing different things. If they are on the outside of the brooder they are too hot. Grouped under the light standing too cold. Loud peeping also indicates they are uncomfortable.
I’ve only had them for a few hours now and they sleep a lot, sometimes near each other and other times apart. They are on the heat lamp end of the box. But will move away from it as well. I keep putting their beaks to the water dish so that they know it’s there. I’m just not sure what behaviors to look for.

Like Oldhen said, let the chicks tell ya how they are doing. Believe me, you quickly learn the difference between basic cheeps and uncomfortable or trouble cheeps. Kinda like learning a tiny humans sounds.

If they seem cold, (huddling together as close to the light as they can get) you can put a small box in, near the hottest part, for them to huddle together in. Or you can make a wool hen, or a heating pad hen. To me, these two option are better than adding wattage to the light.

Is the brooder covered at all? You can add a towel over the box, away from the light to help hold some of the heat in.
I actually think they seem comfortable. Little peeps here and there, but they are mainly just sleeping sit right now. I’ve just had them for about 5 hours sonstill getting used to them.

360596E3-F608-42FA-B45B-77EC4FE13F34.jpeg

They look good and happy, so I think you got it right. Chicks will sleep a lot their first week or two. After 2 weeks they become much more active. One dipping in water is usually enough, after that they should know where the water is and what it is for.

Agree, looks good. You might want to get a chick waterer, though, a dish is trouble as they can get into it and get themselves wet and cold, poo in the water, spill it, etc...

Back
Top Bottom