Heat Lamp needed? Ducks shivering??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CherpNPeep, Dec 7, 2018.

1. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Sure Thing thing!

WannaBeHillBilly and casportpony like this.
  2. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    They are all 5 months old one of them is 7
    Months tho.

3. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    It’s been in the F teens the last few days here. I put a heat lamp out and the birds move in and out of it all night. It’s warming to 40F tomorrow so I’ll take it back in tonight.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  4. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Yes! We just spread some however it's not thick at all, we need to add more today.

5. viennachicken

viennachicken Chirping

Oct 26, 2012
    I have chickens,but I used to have ducks and I can tell you that ANY amount of heat helps especially being so cold! I would use the heat lamp and attach it in the coup-just make sure it is secured with a nail or screw-make sure bulb is screwed in tightly so nothing falls on your ducks!

6. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I've been reading about the deep liter method which from what I understand is you don't carry out the poo you just add hay or staw on top. The poo decomposes and heats things up under them so they're nice and cozy. Here is a link to one of the web sites that tells about it: https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/02/deep-litter-methodcoop-cleaning.html

WannaBeHillBilly and CherpNPeep like this.
  7. CherpNPeep

CherpNPeep Songster

Aug 8, 2018
    Canada, Vancouver
    Thats what I was thinking! Thank you.:D:frow

8. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    I use a CozyCoop heater when it's really cold. It's probably overkill but they can get away from it if they want. There's a lot of poop in front of it so someone's enjoying it.

9. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    I still have an ceramic infrared lamp for the ducks running and in cold nights at least one of them lies under it - Limpy my special need drake.
    Deep Litter method: Not sure if that can work with Ducks. Duck poop is much wetter than Chicken poop, i had to change the bedding when they were younger, it just stank! Now that there is a strict separation between food/water and bed my Duckies rarely poop in their bed.

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I use deep litter with all my birds even my geese. If you use shavings it’s easy to go in daily and scoop up the wet poo I use a pitch fork to fluff the bedding up after I get the wet poo up. In one house I have the 12 ducks &25 chickens. My geese have their own house . I have a Sweeter heater mounted to the wall down close to the floor for very frigid nights I have some old birds I feel might need it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: