Heat Lamp needed? Ducks shivering??

It’s been in the F teens the last few days here. I put a heat lamp out and the birds move in and out of it all night. It’s warming to 40F tomorrow so I’ll take it back in tonight.

So, yesterday, I was out to refil my duckkies water bails and I noticed one of them laying down shivering? The temp was -1 c during the time, I'm not sure if I should attach a heat lamp in the run.
I've tested the lamp out and it hit 20 - 25 degrees, not too bad. Should I install it?
I have chickens,but I used to have ducks and I can tell you that ANY amount of heat helps especially being so cold! I would use the heat lamp and attach it in the coup-just make sure it is secured with a nail or screw-make sure bulb is screwed in tightly so nothing falls on your ducks!

I have chickens,but I used to have ducks and I can tell you that ANY amount of heat helps especially being so cold! I would use the heat lamp and attach it in the coup-just make sure it is secured with a nail or screw-make sure bulb is screwed in tightly so nothing falls on your ducks!
Thats what I was thinking! Thank you.:D:frow

I still have an ceramic infrared lamp for the ducks running and in cold nights at least one of them lies under it - Limpy my special need drake.
Deep Litter method: Not sure if that can work with Ducks. Duck poop is much wetter than Chicken poop, i had to change the bedding when they were younger, it just stank! Now that there is a strict separation between food/water and bed my Duckies rarely poop in their bed.

I use deep litter with all my birds even my geese. If you use shavings it’s easy to go in daily and scoop up the wet poo I use a pitch fork to fluff the bedding up after I get the wet poo up. In one house I have the 12 ducks &25 chickens. My geese have their own house . I have a Sweeter heater mounted to the wall down close to the floor for very frigid nights I have some old birds I feel might need it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom