HEAT LAMP

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
i didnt have one with my other chicks because they had "big kid" feathers when i got them. with lenore i got a heat lamp and responded to how she acted (too hot too cold) and so it is at a good spot, but do i leave it on when she sleeps?

Just keep it far enough away thet it dosnt burn you bare hand.A foot away will do them just fine.Just keeps the bite off in the night.Also make sure not to drafty for them.
smile.png

Yep, it's best to leave the light on 24/7. Be sure that she has room to move into the heat when needed and away when she is too warm. Somewhere it should be just right. Constant loud peeping prolly indicates it's too warm and you need to move the light higher. Good Luck.

bigzio

I have my babies in a big bird cage for now, and the heat lamp shines down into only one corner. That way, one specific area is is really warm, the other side of it is more or less a warmer version of room temperature, and they can figure out where they want to be. Mine pretty much are all over the place, so I guess it's a good set-up.

Susan

My chicks are wierd...

I have a heat lamp in thier brooder for them to use but they dont use it....not even at night...

It gets up in the mid 90's here,and the chicks are panting badly in thier brooder,light is pointed far to the corner,and brooder is 3 ft,x3 ft. at night the stop panting but they never hang near the light..at night it probably get in the low 70's,but in my barn it might be alittle warmer?
and my chicks are maybee over a week old. is this wierd?

Not too weird. I've raise all my silkies so far with a heat light for the first 2 weeks and by the third week, they were at room T of 70 even though that is not what is recommended. Then at a month old... I kicked them out with the older silkies and they are find. Night time lows are in the 50s'. Use a 15W fluorescent light on them now and just follow their body language. If they don't need the heat they will know.

I have just setup and got 3 chicks yesterday and am using an infrared heat globe, can chickens see the red light? and will it disturb them at night? or are they fine with infrared lights on at night?

From everything I've read, the red light doesn't interfere with their sleep the way that the regular light does. I've even read that the regular light, when on all the time, can cause them to become a little testy and mean-spirited and begin to pick and fuss at each other. I went with the red to be on the safe side, and they've been totally fine with it in the evenings and don't appear to be having any light-related interpersonal dramas.
roll.png

Susan

Back
Top Bottom