Heat pack or no heat pack? Shipping eggs today 12/7

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
I have some hatching eggs going out this afternoon. Don't usually ship this time of year but its for a New Years' Hatch participant. Supposed to start snowing this afternoon and be about 30 tonight and tomorrow night.
The only heat packs I have are the big Hot Hands 18 hour ones that I use during power outages and for transporting chicks. My concern is that it might get too hot in the box. How can I put one in the box without the eggs getting cooked or started? Should I just skip it and hope for the best?

I wouldn't put a heat pack in, if the eggs get too warm they will start prematurely developing. I would use lots of insulation - Put them carefully packed into one box, then put into a larger box with lots and lots of crumpled newspaper.

I usually ship without heat packs and have done really well. I pack my eggs in shredded newspaper and thats a pretty good insulator. My last shipment someone requested I use a heat pack and I did. Not sure how its gonna go. I cant wait to find out. JEN

I got eggs shipped to me earlier this year, and the hatch was wacky, incubation DID start early, I had some hatch at 18 days because of the heat pack.

Well- I sent them out without one. Its snowing now and had to get back becuase the schools closed early. Can you believe its going to take 2 to 3 days to travel 2 hours away?
roll.png
Hopefully they are inside at night. I have sent eggs as far as Alaska and with good results, but I don't think it got this cold.
fl.gif

I, too, thought they'd need a heat pack because it's in the 20s at night here and where they're going......I asked and people said no heat pack so I shipped w/o a heat pack.

I found one of those infamous outside hidden nests with 3 silkie eggs in it Remember 20s at night.....I put them in the bator and all 3 have veining at 5 days incubation.

Everyone was right....the cold doesn't affect them like I thought it would.

Back
Top Bottom