Heat plate height

amlee1234

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2019
Southern Indiana
I’m positive this is a silly question, but:
I’ve read that your heat plate should be at your chicks back.. does this refer to the chicks back when they are standing or when they are laying?
I have the Titan heat plate that I ordered off of amazon. I don’t currently have chicks, I will be getting them next week and this is my first experience with chickens.

Although I haven't used a heat plate before (I used a lamp), I would think it would be for when they are standing up because it would be very challenging for them to walk/get underneath it if it were at the height of them laying down. Plus, the height difference between and chick standing and sitting are very, very slim during the early stages of their life.

Although I haven't used a heat plate before (I used a lamp), I would think it would be for when they are standing up because it would be very challenging for them to walk/get underneath it if it were at the height of them laying down. Plus, the height difference between and chick standing and sitting are very, very slim during the early stages of their life.
That’s what I assumed as well. I wondered if they were able to wiggled under if it was suppose to be at back level while laying down. But the plate doesn’t really heat the area under the plate. It’s only warm to the touch, so I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t suppose to be touching them when they were sleeping ‍♀️

I use a Titan heat plate and its not a "contact" heat plate, like some others, i.e. the chicks should not be in physical contact with it. Let the plate warm up and then put your hand on the contact area - its pretty hot.

What I have done is adjust the legs so that there is a slight variation in height, from front to back. This allows chicks to access a slight variation in heat, as suits them (or maybe it just makes me feel like it should :p). You may want to try the rear legs on setting number 1 and the front legs a couple of rungs higher. A bit of trial and error will help you perfect your settings.

The bottom line is that your chicks should guide you as to what is comfortable for them. If they avoid the plate and snuggle together elsewhere it may be too low for them. If they very rarely venture from under the plate, then it may be a little too high. If they zip around the brooder and bob under the plate, have a nap and come out again and eat / drink then it's likely they all is well. When you receive your chicks, put them under the already warmed plate and sit back and observe.

That’s what I assumed as well. I wondered if they were able to wiggled under if it was suppose to be at back level while laying down. But the plate doesn’t really heat the area under the plate. It’s only warm to the touch, so I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t suppose to be touching them when they were sleeping ‍♀️
If you are using pine shavings, they could also dig their way underneath incase it is too low.

Standing height of their back height is what we’ve done. The heat plate we have has a hotter to the touch temp around the middle, and a bit lower temp around the edges. Our plate is approx 16x 24” (size XL), so plenty of space to adjust their comfort. When young, they choose the hotter middle, then as they feather out and we adjust the height, they tend to hang out around the slightly cooler edges, going to the hotter part for a quick warmup.

Good luck!

I use a Titan heat plate and its not a "contact" heat plate, like some others, i.e. the chicks should not be in physical contact with it.
Really? I thought all heat plates were meant to have contact?
Some surfaces are really hot, have read of burns on CX chicks.

Best is to go with setting it an angle(front higher than back-and maybe even one side higher than the other) so they can choose the best spot.
I use a pad, surface is about 120°F.
upload_2019-2-21_17-28-47.png

I will be using one in 2 weeks "hopefully", I am thinking of putting a min max thermometer under it over 24 hours before I put the chicks under it

I will be using one in 2 weeks "hopefully", I am thinking of putting a min max thermometer under it over 24 hours before I put the chicks under it
Remember that a heating plate/pad does not work like a heat lamp,
so temps at floor level will be lower than with a lamp.

Thank you all. I have my chicks now, I have the front of the plate at standing back level, and I angled the other side down a little bit so they could choose thier heat preference. They mostly seem happy

Back
Top Bottom