Heat Plates for Brooding Ducklings?

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
Have any of you used heat plates rather than lamps for brooding ducklings? I tried to do a search but only came up with using them for chicks. I was thinking of getting the one from Premier1 since it is so much less expensive than Brinsea's. I would love to hear any opinions/experiences on using them for ducklings! TIA!
smile.png

Here is the link - http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=120893&cat_id=0&

Well so far so good! I am brooding baby crested pekins and while it took them longer to catch on to the heat plate than my other brooder with chicks (they dove right under), they seem to be doing really well. If anyone is planning on getting one from Premier I WOULD recommend getting the cover as mine have learned to jump on top and poop all over it. I have shelf liner up there now but a cover that keeps them off would be ideal ;)

Well so far so good! I am brooding baby crested pekins and while it took them longer to catch on to the heat plate than my other brooder with chicks (they dove right under), they seem to be doing really well. If anyone is planning on getting one from Premier I WOULD recommend getting the cover as mine have learned to jump on top and poop all over it. I have shelf liner up there now but a cover that keeps them off would be ideal ;)
Thanks for the information I have seen these and if I ever brood in the house again, which I mostly let mamas do it. I think that would be something to look into instead of the heat lamp.

I use clear plastic tubs set on heating pads to keep ducklings warm since it warms their feet and undersides with the added advantage of drying out their poop and spilled (wet) food and water so it is not a slimy mess. I use shelf liners in the bottom of the tubs to keep the ducklings from slipping and to make cleaning easy. I keep a lid over the tub and vent it more and more as they get older to reduce the air temperature. When the ducklings are taking their bath, I clean out their tub and set it back on the heating pad to dry and warm up again. Fortunately ducklings need less heat than chicks and they feather out faster so they can come off the heating pad and do fine at room temperature once they feather on their undersides. Ducklings like to sleep together in a pile with their heads resting on each other's backs so that also keeps them from getting cold. I have noticed that ducklings spend far less time under a hen than chicks do because they get heat from the ground and from each other instead of huddling under their mother. They also have the ability to swim in cold water at an early age so they seem to have a better system for regulating their body heat.

I just bought a premier heat plate for when I get my ducklings in April. I understand you raise front up so it’s sloped their backs are suppose to touch the plate just like they would touch their mommy’s tummy.

Back
Top Bottom