Heated Chicken Coop Mat

I'll add, personally, I wouldn't use a mat, I would add a heat lamp for warmth. We did have some 0 degree weather this winter and I am certainly thinking ahead for next winter. Keep the combs protected (vaseline) and warm, dry and ventilated....

Quote:
vaseline for the combs? what is that for? I have 1 with a somewhat crusty looking comb i thought it could the coloring of it but its always been like that. I also have one that doesnt seem to be growing a comb its flat and bumpy but all black.

This is like the heated "pet mat" (marketed for cats and dogs) that I use in my coop to keep the water liquid in sub-freezing temps. I do have it up an some bricks, though, because I didn't like the thought of heat + pine shavings. My chickens actually had no interest in the warmth there, just the water. I only have it in the coop when it's cold enough to freeze the water. The cord has wire coiled on it (so cats/dogs can't chew on it), and the surface wipes clean.

I did find a ceramic disc at the feed store for reptiles. You'd need a ceramic bulb base, but then you could heat part of the coop safely and wouldn't shatter if a drop of water hit it. Good idea!

Back
Top Bottom