Heated (homemade) perches

Lemonade72

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2017
There is so much open yen varied opinions when looking for information on whether or not you supply supplemental heat in my outdoor coop I couldn't decide but knew I wasn't going to offer nothing, so when I built my perches I added strings of rope lights to about 2/3 of them, just zip tied them to the top of the 2x2's and 1" PVC I used because my chickens and few guineas are such different sizes they can use what they want. I also use rope lights for seed starting because they're so much cheaper than seed heat mats and work at least as well so know they are warm but not hot and I figured I know when my feet are warm I feel much better and having cold feet make me cold all over and it's natural for people to apply human emotions and feelings to their animals....
But I wanted to ask if I am not thinking of any good or bad considerations when doing this ... any thoughts are appreciated having some without lights I thought would offer options and I used dark purple lights so at night they have a place not real bright and they can relax... yet see a bit...
Thanks
Lemonade in northern Wisconsin

That all sounds great! My chickens never seem bothered by the red light, however, I can see how the purple light would be more effective for their sleep! Good luck!

Hopefully they won't peck till they damage the lights?
I use a heat lamp...Although my Coop is not all that warm...-10C this morning and snow on the ground...My Birds have respiratory disease so I heat to manage them..

There is so much open yen varied opinions when looking for information on whether or not you supply supplemental heat in my outdoor coop I couldn't decide but knew I wasn't going to offer nothing, so when I built my perches I added strings of rope lights to about 2/3 of them, just zip tied them to the top of the 2x2's and 1" PVC I used because my chickens and few guineas are such different sizes they can use what they want. I also use rope lights for seed starting because they're so much cheaper than seed heat mats and work at least as well so know they are warm but not hot and I figured I know when my feet are warm I feel much better and having cold feet make me cold all over and it's natural for people to apply human emotions and feelings to their animals....
But I wanted to ask if I am not thinking of any good or bad considerations when doing this ... any thoughts are appreciated having some without lights I thought would offer options and I used dark purple lights so at night they have a place not real bright and they can relax... yet see a bit...
Thanks
Lemonade in northern Wisconsin

What breeds do you keep?

Most cold hardy featherer breeds are just fine till temperatures in the -20F - 30F.

Dry is so much more important than warm. Humid cold air causes so much harm to chickens including but not limited to frostbite and respiratory issues.

There is a lot of valuable information on this site.

Click here to start searching and learning

it's natural for people to apply human emotions and feelings to their animals....
It certainly is widespread(won't say natural) but it's not logical,
and can often do more harm than good in solving a 'problem' with animals.

Did you know birds have a mechanism to adjust circulation to their feet to deal with the cold weather? Think of all the birds in the wild all winter in our frozen north.

Quoting centrarchid:
"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Really, dryness and good ventilation will help them way more than a heated roost.
Only thing you need powered heat for is the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom