Heated perches?

Quote:
gig.gif
gig.gif
cold snaps!
lau.gif
lau.gif

we have one cold snap from November to March.

I think perhaps I should move to florida for the winter.
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
People keep bringing this up, and I don't really understand why.

It is really pretty rare for chickens to get frostbitten toes if they have a suitably wide roost, adequate feed, and are not forced to walk around on bare frozen ground or hard icy ground (i.e you have good fluffy dry bedding indoors, and either snow or straw or similar outdoors)

It is CERTAINLY not a threat anywhere south of the Mason Dixon
tongue.png

There is no need whatsoever to keep their toes artificially warm, that is what they have tummy feathers for. And no, overheating their feeties is not going to prevent a frostbitten comb
tongue.png

EVEN WAY UP NORTH, you do not in any way shape or form need a heated roost. It would be just one more thing to suck up electricity that you have to pay for and that can at unexpected times set your coop on fire, especially from weird using-things-against-their-intended-purpose rigs.

Just sayin',

Pat

Should anyone be interested in providing heated perches for their chickens, they're actually already available. They're made for parrots and I imagine that the largest size would work for a chicken. The cable runs on the outside to be chew-proof for parrots so I'm sure you could devise a way to make these work for your chickens. My mom had an african grey that loved to be outside. With the heated perch, she would want to go outside even when it was 40 degrees out! I know parrots can lose a lot of heat from their feet since it's the only bare skin on their bodies...I'd imagine chickens are the same. The perches are a little pricey though!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10899

Quote:
Oh MY, FORTY degrees, that's just..... sorry, can't keep a straight face....

I've recently moved from the Central California coastline to Sacramento, and I cannot believe how PEOPLE bundle up in sweaters, scarves and/or coats when the temperature drops to 55 degrees. I'm quite comfortable in short sleeved blouses and a skirt in those temps. Lately the mornings have been around 40 to 45 or so, and people stare at me because I don't wear sweaters to work. Yah, it's brisk, but it's not life-threatening ..... and I am not covered with feathers.

Adult chickens need far less heat than most city-folks think they do. We put heat in brooders and incubators because we're replacing Momma Chicken.

Just cuz birds do not have feathers on their feet does not mean their feet are at great risk from cold, nor does it mean their feet are a major source of heat loss.

The way that blood vessels are routed through the legs and feet of birds makes a countercurrent heat exchange system, so that most body heat stays *in* the body rather than the feet acting as a radiator that lets lots of heat escape to the environment. If you notice, wild birds have bare feet and legs and yet species that are generally adapted to cooler environments do just fine with those bare feet and legs. Ducks and geese will stand on icy ponds and neither get frostbite nor melt holes in the ice from their body heat
wink.png

Parrots are simply not adapted for temperatures below "warm weather". Many are not, uh, the very hardiest birds in captivity either, at least not compared to yer basic chicken. In cool situations (including things like 'having the air conditioner on near the parrot cage
tongue.png
) parrots need all the help they can get. Thus, heated perches.

Chickens, OTOH, are quite cold hardy. They are not, not even remotely, parrots
wink.png

A quick google did not find any heated parrot perches for sale that were larger than 2" diameter anyhow (and remember that is *round*, not flat on top like chickens usually prefer), thus not really well suited for chickens anyhow.

JMHO,

Pat

I was thinking about how I might put a very small amount of heat in my coop anyway and near the roost where they sleep. In fact I was considering putting a dark 100 watt light bulb below the poop board to simply "break the chill" during the really cold nights(in WV) and since heat rises then it may help break the chill and help dry them if they got wet during the day. Thats why I thought this might be a good idea rather than using the light bulb. Not to help keep the feet warm but to put a very small amount of heat near where the chickens will roost all night. I would think it would be very dry heat as well.

Might be just enough to keep them from frostbite even on their combs if its well insulated.

By putting the heat tape under the roost pole like below I would think it would give a constant and very small amount of heat rise under the birds?
Tape1.jpg

Quote:
I agree.

If the cable was placed up inside the roost board... They could not reach mine to peck it.

Also I was looking at heat tapes that are normally wrapped around your pipes way back under your house. The big no no with heat tapes is that you never want to overlap them. If they are not a fire hazard under your house where people live.... I can't see it being a hazard in your chicken house lol

Last edited:
Wood is a pretty decent insulator. I have trouble imagining that much if any of the heat from that cable is going to make it through 1.5" of pine.

If they are not a fire hazard under your house where people live.... I can't see it being a hazard in your chicken house lol

They ARE a fire hazard in many cases, and certainly do carry an elevated risk of house fires! That is why it is so strongly recommended, even by the mfr's, that you use them only EXACTLY according to instructions (which include not being in contact with flammable materials...), and only when needed, and only if undamaged and of recent manufacture.

I suppose "they're only chickens" but I sure would not do it, considering there is zero need for it.

Pat​

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I'm sorry....wait..hold on ...
gig.gif
lau.gif

Ok..I'm good...
gig.gif

Ok..no I good now.

Living in Florida I think you will would never need such a device. As stated before it would be a fire harzard, cost money, increase your electric bill, etc

My chickens are doing just fine in their tractor and it has been in the 40s at night. I had a neighbor just had his girls in a steel shed with the doors opens all winter.

Your chickens will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom