Heated water dish (or other methods) reviews wanted!

I use a high tech method called "smashing ice several times daily". :lol:

I like R2elk's idea, especially for those of us that have a hard time running electricity to the coop safely.
Another benefit is when you dig it up to replace the manure you get some really good compost. Last year's batch produced a full wheelbarrow for me of nice black compost.

I like the horizontal nipple water so I got this heated version which has a temperature sensor so goes on and off dependent on the ambient temperature.

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Heat...kmr0&keywords=heated+chicken+waterer+2+gallon

4169nPUZqzL.jpg

I also ferment my feed so also got a heated dog bowl for that purpose. It also has a temp sensor and has a wider base so even when my girls stand on the edge it does NOT tip.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y8GQ56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y8GQ56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51FHkDFrkhL._SX425_.jpg

both work quite nicely for me

I'm looking for something or things that's going to be able to help keep a large rain barrel and piping from freezing over. I live in Michigan, so the winters can get harsh, especially living so close to the lake. Im wanting to put up a rain collection barrel that will be filled by the rain that's coming off the coop roof (over 250 sq ft of roof). From there, I plan on running a small hose or tube into the shelter (no more than 2 or 3 feet tops), that then connects to a horizontal pipe with watering cups for the birds to drink out of.

I just want to make sure i have something to keep the water from freezing in the barrel as well as the lines. I'm not afraid to put a little money in it so we have a good solid watering system the chicks won't run through and get their water all dirty, but can still be easily filled.

I'm looking for something or things that's going to be able to help keep a large rain barrel and piping from freezing over. I live in Michigan, so the winters can get harsh, especially living so close to the lake. Im wanting to put up a rain collection barrel that will be filled by the rain that's coming off the coop roof (over 250 sq ft of roof). From there, I plan on running a small hose or tube into the shelter (no more than 2 or 3 feet tops), that then connects to a horizontal pipe with watering cups for the birds to drink out of.

I just want to make sure i have something to keep the water from freezing in the barrel as well as the lines. I'm not afraid to put a little money in it so we have a good solid watering system the chicks won't run through and get their water all dirty, but can still be easily filled.

The barrel is not problem to keep thawed. A stock tank deicer would do that very well. The hose "might" be able to be kept thawed with heat tape and insulation wrapped around the heat tape and hose. Forget the watering cups. There is no way to keep those thawed in the winter. They'll freeze up faster than any other kind of waterer.

I'm in Zone 4B. Often temps get below 0*F and stay there for days at a time. I use a 5 qt heated water bowl, and put a gallon jug of water in the middle so there is a moat of water around the jug. This keeps the birds from stepping in the water or dragging their wattles through it. Also allows me to top off their water mid day. Snow makes a nice scrubby to clean the dog bowl. Water in the coop from Nov. through mid April.

The barrel is not problem to keep thawed. A stock tank deicer would do that very well. The hose "might" be able to be kept thawed with heat tape and insulation wrapped around the heat tape and hose. Forget the watering cups. There is no way to keep those thawed in the winter. They'll freeze up faster than any other kind of waterer.

I agree, it's the line and cups that will be tricky to keep thawed. if you bury the line between the barrel and coop the ground may help insulate it. I'm just speculating here. Also I know everyone's set up is different, but I'm not really concerned about chickens kicking dirt in the water in winter since the ground is frozen for months at a time here, so I feel like open water wouldn't get as dirty as quickly in winter as it does in summer. Also there are days I don't care if they fill the water with dirt, they don't seem to care and drink it anyway, and they are the ones who kick it full of dirt, sometimes I wonder if we worry too much about how "clean" the chicken water is. They eat dirt and rocks on purpose, eat worms and bugs and seed off the ground, muddy water isn't going to kill them. I do dump and freshen it daily so things don't start growing in there...

Should I go with nipples instead of cups then?

Back
Top Bottom