Heating Coop for chicks in the winter...

Nice! Ooooh ... I've wanted to try Swedish Flower and Speckled Sussex hens! I ordered a Black Copper Marans but she didn't make it but a day or two after shipping. My Buff Orps are the bosses of my flock.

Where did you get your chicks?

I’ve got quite a random mix. 2 Swedish flower Hens, 1 Black Copper Marans, 6 Easter Eggers, 2 Speckles Sussex, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Salmon Favorelle.
What do you have?!

did she become boss before or after little ones arrived if after she may be broody and would do great so try her first. If before it could be she is trying to be mom of the other 2 in her pen. Be sure not to be to quick to intervene give them time to adjust just monitor calmly

She has been the boss since the day she was born haha. First chick to run up when I’d walk in, she is also now the biggest. That would be so nice if she took the little ones under her wing.

82E4EED7-7476-4919-A48F-F8E8E172227D.jpeg
EFB219DC-C565-42DC-A835-482A02A5DE6C.jpeg
Nice! Ooooh ... I've wanted to try Swedish Flower and Speckled Sussex hens! I ordered a Black Copper Marans but she didn't make it but a day or two after shipping. My Buff Orps are the bosses of my flock.

Where did you get your chicks?

I absolutely love the Swedish Flower Hens. My first batch of chicks got sick and I lost 5/8 but the 2 Swedish Flower Hens never showed any symptoms. One of the ones that I lost was a BCM and now I think this one might be a rooster but it’s too soon to say. *sigh*.

I got them from Serenity Sprouts out in Strasburg. These pics are from a couple weeks ago. I need to get new ones because the crest on the darker Swedish Flower Hen, the boss, has gotten HUGE.

I put my 4 day old chicks out into their new coop last September because DH (who had recently had a bone marrow transplant) was leery of being around them in the garage and his doc was on his side.

Their first night got down to 30* F. I did give them an infrared heat panel brooder which they had been using in the garage. I had to shoo them under it, though. It was only a few days before they were all sleeping on top of it. Honestly I think they’d have been fine without it. There were 17 of them and they all used to huddle together into a big fuzzy ball creature.

I think if I were you I’d give them their current brooder panel and lots of deep bedding. It won’t start a fire as long as you protect the plug/extension cord connection. Wrap it in electrical tape and secure it up somewhere out of reach of bigger birds. They likely won’t all sleep under it unless you force them. But they have the option, and sleeping on top warms them, too. They probably don’t need it at all, but humans have needs too, and I would need them to have the panel—even though I’m pretty sure they don’t actually require it.

Wow. That seems to be a nice hatchery! I will definitely keep them in mind! And not too far away for a little wee drive. There is one up.in Fort Collins, too (Cockeyed Coop) and you can buy feathered out chooks so you know what you're getting. ;-)

Oh I hope your roo is a her. I thought both of my new Golden Laced Wyandotte were roos bc they were straight run, but fortunately my iffy one is a pullet after all. My sexed Barred Rocks however...roos. Oh well, that's what you get for giving in to a 5 yo in Tractor Supply.

View attachment 1973891 View attachment 1973890

I absolutely love the Swedish Flower Hens. My first batch of chicks got sick and I lost 5/8 but the 2 Swedish Flower Hens never showed any symptoms. One of the ones that I lost was a BCM and now I think this one might be a rooster but it’s too soon to say. *sigh*.

I got them from Serenity Sprouts out in Strasburg. These pics are from a couple weeks ago. I need to get new ones because the crest on the darker Swedish Flower Hen, the boss, has gotten HUGE.

Yep, and turn off the heat in the shop now.
Agree!

View attachment 1973891 View attachment 1973890

Uh oh. Sounds like a roo is present. My first flock had a sweet, friendly little pullet that let me hold her, pet her, bathe her when she had poopy butt, and was the first to run and greet me every day. And then she crowed. >sigh<
He's now in a bachelor pad due to being human aggressive.
Good luck, I hope I'm wrong. :confused:

Ooh you’re a genius. Wonderful advice. I hadn’t heard of those heat pads before. Going to look into that. Thank you. I’ll definitely employ the technique of making a safe space for the little ones like that too. Thanks so much.
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but have you thought about using a Wool Hen? I've raised lots of biddies without using any electricity in the winter (20s at night) by using a Wool Momma. If they get cold, they will move further back into the tunnel, if they get warm, they will move towards the front opening. And you don't have to worry about fires, or the electricity going out. :old
They also don't have the eye and mental problems associated with using heat lamps. They seem to develop more natural circadian rhythms without lights.
:pop

Agree!

Uh oh. Sounds like a roo is present. My first flock had a sweet, friendly little pullet that let me hold her, pet her, bathe her when she had poopy butt, and was the first to run and greet me every day. And then she crowed. >sigh<
He's now in a bachelor pad due to being human aggressive.
Good luck, I hope I'm wrong. :confused:

I hope you’re wrong but I’ve had the same thoughts as well. I’ve been checking for physical signs of being a rooster daily since I got her because her personality screams rooster to me. I was hoping maybe she is just the boss hen and that’s why she’s so outgoing...these are my first chickens so only time will tell. I think the Marans a rooster too. So I very well could have 2 of 3 be roosters. Sigh.
My friendly, bossy, assertive Flower Hen is very fittingly makes Squirrely. Her crown is totally pale, but her legs are huge...and she is bigger than the other Flower Hen but she was bigger from day 1 so I was hoping it’s just natural variation. When do saddle feathers start coming in?

Back
Top Bottom