Heating the Chicken coop in Winter.. Any suggestions

Annie was a little banty - 5 years old - she hasn't been able to fly up to the roost for some months. My roomate was trying to plug in his truck and somehow disconnected the two heat lamps, so little Annie couldn't sit with the other chickens on the roost to warm each other. I found her frozen to death trying to keep three eggs warm. It was heartbreaking - she was so sweet. My favorite, trained chicken Billy (came in the house with me all the time and had been known to dip into my wine) just dropped dead one day - no ryhme or reason. I have a big healthy rooster and two wynodotes and one little banty left. Everyone says not to heat the coop, but it got down to 35 below here and I was so worried about them, I almost brought them in the house. I have not been letting them out of the coop until it warms up to 35.

Yikes- 35 below.
I was thinking the same as Juby- perhaps she had a stroke and just died-then froze.
I'm thinking your roommate needs a talking to
sad.png

We have seramas that can't handle the excessive cold. Plus I'm just sick to death of frozen waterers and eggs. We have been using the 250 watt heat lamps and a wood/coal burner. But you have to be home all the time to load it. Sooo I went to Menards and bought a propane garage heater. 30,000 btu and will heat up to 1000 sq ft. Also will run with out elecricity. It cost 128.00 but it will take a big load off of my mind the next time it gets to minus 50 below. My coop is a converted trailor house. So all the insulating was pre done.

Our coop is insulated, and has an electric coop heater from Shop the coop.com. It is the delightful wall panel that turns on at 35, and off at 45*. We also use two lights, one 250 watt red light for nights, and one 250 watt for days. Keeps the ladies laying well, and dries off wet or snowy feathers during those grey new england fall and winter days. Our lights are on timers.

We have one extension cord that runs out to the coop, and then I plugged in a good quality curcuit inturrupted power strip. has worked well for 2 years, and I dont see an appreciable jump in our electric. In fact I dont think the wall heater runs much, except maybe on the coldest nights, the hens and the lights do most of the heating!
big_smile.png

Good Luck!

Quote:
I learned a long time ago to do what was needed to put my mind at rest. I would not be able to sleep while animals I cared for where huddling and shivering to keep warm. I just cant do that!

If it puts your mind at ease to heat your birds, I am sure that they will appreciate in thier own little birdy ways your extra efforts. My hens are 7-9 years old, and still laying, they were my brothers first, and I inherited them 2 years ago. They have been under red heat lights every winter of thier lives, and I have noticed that while they molted, they vied to be closer to the heat source on the cold eves! Now tell me they dont appreciate it?
wink.png

Do what makes you sleep best at night, and let the person who unplugged your lights sleep out on the porch some night.
cool.png

Quote:
Remeber one thing that those heaters eat up the oxygen in small spaces. They always recommend to crack a window when using these. Just a word of caution.

jeremy

Shoot, at -35°F I'll be watching for signs of distress, too. Mine seem to do fine down to -10F so far this winter, but if I start to see that they're not going outside, and staying in and huddling, then yes, it would be time to add a little heat. Probably not enough to bring the coop above freezing, but at least above 0F. I have the 250w red heat lamps for that.

Hi - I just checked on them and they are cuddled up on their roost right in front of the heat lamps. I guess they can take the cold better than we can, but I do worry when it's bitter cold. I have a big portable dog house I will put them in and bring them in if it gets too bad. I know that back in the old days, there was no heat in the hen houses, but unfortunately, I've already spoiled them.

Thanks for the input.

I live in New Hampshire where I raise NH Reds which acclimate pretty well to 20 degrees. I use a 100W ceramic heater which screws into a regular light bulb socket. This does NOT heat the coop but is meant to penetrate the muscles and bones of the chickens which in turn does heat the coop as they keep warm. I also use a water heater that holds a light bulb and depending on the temperature outside, I can change the wattage of the bulb to accomodate colder weather. It has gotten to 30 below here on the lake and the coldest my coop has gotten is 28 degrees inside. My girls are very healthy and happy and still produce daily throughout the winter.

Back
Top Bottom