Heating Water

Hello! This is our first fall/winter with chickens. I had purchased the Little Giant Electric Heater Base back in the spring when we got the chicks. Their water has just started freezing up here in Connecticut so today I went to set up the heater. As I was about to do so I noticed in fine print it says: do not use extension cord. Now what?! We do not have electricity at the chicken coop and we planned on using an extension cord to the house. Changing the water throughout the day is not an option as we have a bunch of kids and sometimes I’m in and out with them all day/evening. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Claire

I have the same metal base heater and I use a 50 foot orange outdoor electrical extension cord from my house to the coop. These heaters only draw 125 watts, so not much more than an old fashioned lightbulb. I don't have any problems. Personally, I would not worry about it.

Do you have a problem with the water being dirty? This seems like a good option for me but I’m concerned about them pooping in their water.

I use a rubber feeding pan for water in the chicken run during the non-freezing months. If I put the pan of water on top of a short stump, so it's elevated above the ground maybe 4-6 inches, my chickens don't seem to kick grass/leaves/etc... into the pan. It stays pretty clean and my girls don't dirty their water.

I use a rubber feeding pan for water in the chicken run during the non-freezing months. If I put the pan of water on top of a short stump, so it's elevated above the ground maybe 4-6 inches, my chickens don't seem to kick grass/leaves/etc... into the pan. It stays pretty clean and my girls don't dirty their water.
I meant to reply here not on my own Post! Thank you for your reply I ordered a bowl last night!

I use an extension cord with my heated base. I have no idea why folks are suggesting a different waterer that uses electricity. Yould still have to use an extension cord.
I have the same metal base heater and I use a 50 foot orange outdoor electrical extension cord from my house to the coop. These heaters only draw 125 watts, so not much more than an old fashioned lightbulb. I don't have any problems. Personally, I would not worry about it.
Thank you. I called and they said they wouldn’t recommend using anything longer than a 50 foot cord. I would need a 100 foot cord.

Back
Top Bottom