Heeeeeelllppp!

Cward011

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Ok, I got 5 pea babies. All has been going well for the past week and half. Now one of them is really really weak. He's barely moving!! What should I do?

It might help the pea health experts (which I'm not!) if you can provide some more information.
Is he eating/drinking/pooping? Do you have them somewhere warm? Does he have droopy wings, is he puffed up? etc.

He's not moving at all and taking long labored breaths. I have him with a heater right now. :( Just looks almost dead.

About a month old now, no heat lamp as seller had them outside when I bought them a week ago. Been feeding crumbles 16 protein, no swelling, no nasel discharge, poop looks like poo, not sticking to bottom.

I am not good with health stuff, but this sounds like it could be coccidiosis or Histomoniasis...
Are your crumbles medicated? For peachicks it is best to give them medicated chick starter.

Here is some info on Histomoniasis from the UPA's site:
Quote:

Last edited:
Quote from Dylansmom on another topic if you end up needing metronidazole... If you can't get it online I think it is at pet stores carrying fish supplies as the fish zole.
Quote:

At a month old peachicks need a heat source. 16% isn't high enough protein for peachicks. Get some 28% medicated gamebird starter and if you want mix a little of the 16% medicated in with it. Put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar/liter ( or quart) of water. I would suspect cocci, just because of their age. Treat them all for whatever it is you decide, and go through the complete treatment, don't stop after a couple of days. There are several threads about treating both for cocci and histomoniasis. If you are inexperienced at tube feeding, try to convince your sick baby to eat. Scrambled eggs are very good for them and they usually like it. Try putting a small amount in its beak, tube feeding would be much better if you know how and have had experience doing it. Be care either way. Good luck.

About a month old now, no heat lamp as seller had them outside when I bought them a week ago. Been feeding crumbles 16 protein, no swelling, no nasel discharge, poop looks like poo, not sticking to bottom.

At a month old these babies should be kept at 75-80 degrees, no colder. If the person you got them from had them outside, what were they being kept in and was it on the ground, or were they with their mom? If they were with mom she was keeping them warm if not then it's a miracle they survived. Where are you located? Nights are getting cooler now, so if you have them outside they may be getting too cold at night. I would second the cocci opinion, and if one has it and is that weak, tube feeding is imperative for survival and treatment should be immediate. SMZ/TMP would be my recommendation for aggressive treatment, Corid in the water may not be enough for the sick one, but the others should definitely have Corid in the water asap.

Tube feeding at that age is a bit tricky and kinda scary but in my opinion necessary if not too late. Most local big chain pet stores will carry the necessary supplies needed for tube feeding baby birds, parrots mostly. You will also need some Kaytee baby bird feed that you will mix one part feed to two parts water. Adding meds to that mix is the only sure way to make sure that the bird is getting them and in the proper amount. Do a couple of quick You Tube searches on how to tube feed. It is not that complicated, the main thing to remember is to approach the beak from your right side and slide the tube down the left side.

If you are having trouble with finding a catheter for feeding try a local vet or a medical supply store. Casportpony has posted the recommended sizes here before, sorry I don't have them memorized, I just keep them in the cabinet. The Fish Zole is available at pet stores also, the Corid can be found at the farm stores, both can be added to the tube feed in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom