HEEELLPP!! Emergency!!

You want to feed him plain yogurt or buttermilk(probiotics), mixed with scrambled egg or canned beef catfood (extra protein) all mixed in his feed to make a mash and give it to him to eat. Feed him this mixture for several days. Make sure he has freshwater to drink.

maggots leave a toxin behind ... GET THEM ALL... any left behind are excreting toxins... The situation is called Flystrike. It is very difficult to treat so I commend you on this valliant effort... Keep going and get them ALL...

And I would suggest that after he is better when you get ready to put her back in with the others that you spray blue-kote on him or her to keep the others from pecking at him or her.

This is a condition called fly-strike. It is crucial that you act quickly and remove as many maggots as you can. I know this can be very difficult but from what I was told they maggots can invade the body and kill the chicken if you do not remove them. Try soaking her bottom in warm water to draw them to the top so you can grab them out with tweezers.

From what I was told you do not want to use too much peroxide because it can darn the tissue and thus prevent healing.

Here is how I treated my chicken. I gave her the antibiotic Cephalexin 250 mg/2 times a day for 2 weeks and did the following routine; morning- rinse throughly with hose, flush wound with salt water, flush with betadine tea, apply triple antibiotic ointment and evening- soak in warm salt water bath for 15-20 minutes, flush wound with salt water, flush with betadine tea and apply triple antibiotic ointment. I got the antibiotic from firststatevetsupply.com. The owner is named Peter Brown and he is none as the "chicken doctor".

Oh and you must remove the chicken from the rest of the flock. I keep mine in a dog crate on my patio for about 3 weeks until her wound was fully healed.

Last edited:
You could use a large syringe or squirt bottle to squirt the maggots out of the wound if you find more. Betadine dries and it disinfects. Good luck.

Peanut is doing much better this morning. I rinsed him for quite awhile and couldn't find anymore maggots. Either the benadine killed them, made them fall off, or drove them deep into hiding.. really hoping its not the last one. I treated the areas again and tonight I'm going to completely soak him and check again. I'm not taking any chances.

But he's got his spunk back now which makes me feel a whole lot better. I had difficulty treating him this morning because he didnt want to stand still this time.

I just want to commend you for going the extra mile for your rooster. You're a good chicken mama
smile.png

Aw thanks :) Peanut is my baby. He's more like a loyal dog really. I only noticed he was under the weather because he didnt run out to greet me like usual lol

Now its my husband that will need sympathy. He's going to have to deal with a rooster crowing inside the house for awhile!
big_smile.png

My rooster had a head wound with maggots. They got into his ear canal and his eye socket (the eye was wrecked by a coon). I used the peroxide in all the areas and yes it caused the maggots to wiggle around so I could get them out with the tweezers. At that point, I wasn't as concerned about tissue damage as I was about those maggots getting into the brain and doing some real damage. The SWAT did not go deep into the wound, but I put it around the exterior of the wound to keep the flies from laying new eggs around the wound and blue-kot in the wound to help dry it up and get things healing. It is important to get all the maggots out because they will start on live flesh once the dead tissue is gone. Unless you're raising a show quality bird, I wouldn't worry too much about tissue damage. I'd use the peroxide again. And I'd get that dead skin off to completely uncover their hiding spot. I can no longer see the wound at all on the roo's head. With the molt this month, all his feathers have grown back and completely covered over the hole. His eye socket has healed up and he's "back in business" with the hens, even though he can only see (and likely hear) out of one side of his head. The only thing that didn't regrow was the hole that the coon took out of his comb. But it is also completely healed up.

So they can recover. Just get those maggots out of there!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Here are my before, during and after pictures (the feathers still aren't completely grown in). Obviously, he will never look as picturesque as he did before, but that hasn't slowed him down much!!

37043_dscf6280.jpg
37043_july_23_-_4.jpg
37043_dscf1025.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom