HEEELLPP!! Emergency!!

Oooh my goodness!! That poor guy!!!!!!
hit.gif

I'm going to try and drum up the courage to get off the dead skin tonight. The problem now is that its very difficult to see. Now that its all treated and the maggots are gone, it blends in with the rest of the skin so Im really worried about getting the right skin!

Theres definitely no more movement under the skin either that I can see. But I'm worried about tiny maggots that I cant see. So I really need to get that dead skin off somehow :-/ Oi..

Later today I'll post some pictures of the damage. Most of it won't show up but his butt picture still will.

Something to note for the future is that the worm treatment actually seemed to drive out the maggots and make them fall off faster and better than anything else. I just poured it over the maggots and surrounding area. I only did it to one of the infestations because I wasn't totally sure if it was okay to touch the skin. But I got it all over me when I was trying to feed it to him and it didnt irritate my skin at all so I figured it was worth a shot. Maybe I'll treat him with that one more time once I remove the the dead skin.

I forgot to mention that last night I saw some maggots go in his vent. Im concerned about that since theres no way to get them out.. I did treat him with the de-wormer, will that get them out?? Maybe I should squirt some up his butt?

Well, I'm taking him to the vet today. I was able to find a local vet that sees chickens and they told me that maggots can go way deeper than you'd think. It really worries me that they disappeared as fast as they did so I'm really concerned that they just retreated deeper.

With the $80 on meds and now this vet visit plus whatever they have to do to treat it, I think Peanut has officially turned into the most expensive chicken in the county ha ha

But he's worth it

DSCN1688.jpg

Thats him when he was about 4 months old

Last edited:
Well I have good news and I have bad news. While we were at the vet she found another maggot spot under the leg and possible another under his other wing. That makes 5 spots now. The Vet is most concerned about the fact that some of the maggots were going in and out of the vent. Since its spread so far around his body its a good possibility that they went inside. She said if his insides are infected then his chances of making it are slim.

She's going to check inside first and if it is infested we'll have to make a decision about putting him down or paying more to try and save him. The estimated bill is already $450 without that so if the maggots are inside I'll be forced to put my baby down. In total we've spent $560 on him so far and we didn't have that to spend
sad.png

Im glad he's in good hands though. Who knows if I would have found that other spot and I know he's in pain. He really started showing it again while we were there..

On a happy note, the vet said that we did an extremely good job cleaning off the existing spots. In fact we couldn't even find them. The only evidence was the orange from the bendadine lol. So if anyone has any maggot issues in the future I guess I'm the one to call! ha ha

Do not feel guilty! I worked at a vet for 10 years and it was alot of money for a free animal. OK they totaly understand. We did not understand when the client came in with their animal that had lost an eye and they wanted an artifial eye. The kids were bare foot and the car was VERY OLD! Yeah that is what is needed.....a glass eye, for a dog!!!!!!!!! You have probably have done more than you thought you would have before this. You do what you have to do to save something savable! We have to know what to do if this happens to us....the neebies!

You did everything you could. Sometimes we do what is right for the animal and put them down. Sometimes people are selfish and keep an animal alive because they feel bad. But what if the animal would be out of pain and that is what is best for it. You will make the right choice.
smile.png
...........):

Back
Top Bottom