HEELLPP!!!!! Something is coming out of hens butt??? Graphic pic!!

Quote:
Okay, that sounds good. I will try that. But I could not cull her without trying something for her.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Quote:
I dont have any hemmorrhoid medicine, so what type of antiobiotic could I use?? I have all kinds of ointments. I am going to go out and get her and do the bath thing.
I will check in soon and see if there is any new advice and let you guys know what happens.
I cannot let her die. I lost Baldie already and I can't bear to lose her. She is one of my fav's. She is only almost one year old. We got her as a day old May 12, 2008.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

no way, try all you can of course first. Try preparation H and pushing it back in. Pray it stays in. Warm washes and prep H.

It looks like a prolapse to me. Does she have an egg in there, with her insides wrapped around it? If there is an egg there, you will need to feel around to see where there is an opening to get it out. You also want to get her bum into some warm water (not hot, but warm). Put in some epsom salt and sugar (this is what my vet told me to do when it happened to my hen). Once her bottom is in the water and cleaned off a bit, feel around for an egg. If there is no egg, then you want to gently push the insides back in. Just make sure all the dirt is off.

After the prolapse is back inside, take your hen inside to a dark room. Keep her covered and quiet. You may want to keep her inside for several days in the dark to make sure she doesn't lay another egg before the prolapse has healed itself. My vet gave me some sugar water (kept in fridge) to rinse off the vent several times a day.

Don't let her dirt bath and get it all covered in dirt and debris.

sorry we posted at the same time and I see you don't have that medicine. I read that someone tried honey?????? But I am not too sure about that.
Would anyone recommend vaseline????

airheart and patyrdz are right on.
wash hands / wear gloves. lube her up with gobs of K-y type water soluable lubricant and work it gently back in. The white discharge could be a collection of normal secretions that got caught up in a fold of tissue.
Don't give up.... good luck!

It does look like a prolapse vent. You can use neosporin and definately keep her in the dark for a couple of days at least. My hen I went thru this with is perfectly fine now.

I think anything that acts as a lubricant will work. I have read not to use any antibiotic ointment that has a painreliver in it, but the other is ok. I like Pre H the best!

Okay, I just remembered that yesterday, I found a bloody egg out in the pen. Not anywhere where a chicken would normally lay either. I am still trying to get her. She is too smart. She knows I held her for the pics so she wont even stay still with treats!! I will go and try to get her to come into the pen with treats and then corner her in there. I am home alone with my 4 yr old. He cant really help, so I am alone trying to catch her.

OMG!!! I did it!! I have washed her up and I pushed it back in!! I hope it works!! She is resting now in a dark box. She seemed very happy once her insides were back in. Though I do need a shower now. Thanks for all your help!! I will update a little later!

Back
Top Bottom