Height of quail house for safety

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kristenm1975, Aug 23, 2011.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have heard several times that quail will fly up when startled and do so with such force that they are at risk of a broken neck. As such, it's been said that they should not have high ceilings in their housing arrangements or effort should be made to install a softer ceiling, such as wire, to prevent injury. How much truth is there to this, and how high is high enough or too high?

I feel compelled to give them as much space as I can afford, in order to improve their quality of life, so I'm interested in hearing what others have done.

Thank you!

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I raise coturnix in this pen. If they get startled they will jump & bang their head. If the ceiling is low there's less impact. Its totally true I have another pen that's higher & had one get banged up pretty good he/she w[​IMG]as bleeding . If you look at the pen just to the left that's the pen I'm referring to.If you look to the right I raise Bob Whites in there it's big with real high ceiling known as a flight pen.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the input! It looks like you've got a great system, where at least the little guys have space to run around, if not to fly. I appreciate the picture. Nicely made, simply coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by