1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Helen is a what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Creed Bennett, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    So my wife and I are in town one afternoon. We had to put down two of our dogs earlier in the year due to one having back problems and the other had cancer. She says "lets go by the animal shelter and see if they have anything that we could give a home to. We go by there and they had a couple of dogs that we liked and we started filling out the paperwork on. My wife jokingly ask if they had any chickens. The woman says yep I have a little hen that needs a home. I tell her we'll take it without even seeing it. Well she brings out Helen. She is a little doll and we like her right away. She had been put in a coop with a bunch of older standard size chickens and they just about killed her. She has scabs and new feathers coming in and seems to be healthy otherwise. Problem is I cant figure out what she is. She is bantam sized and has five toes. So heeeeeres Helen:
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure she is a mutt of some sort, but what?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Silkie cross, definitely. But with what??? No idea there. She sure is lovely, though!

3. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:I Agree

4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Faverolles (sp?) have 5 toes and feathered feet and a beard.

5. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    What color are her legs? She looks crossed with a Easter Egger. My EE girls have that coloring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

OEGB and Silky cross.

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Possibly a silke/amercauna cross? The breed looks so familiar. It's right on the tip of my tongue LoL It may not be amercauna but when I googled it, it looked very similar to Helen.
    She is such a pretty girl [​IMG]

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I disagree.

This looks exactly like my polish/silver spangled Hamburg cross in form.. but colouring is off..

Doesn't look like a silkie cross to me at all.

[​IMG]
    Face of my girl - Mc'Donalds - before she started laying (her comb & wattles are much more pronounced now)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry - I don't seem to have any good body shots to show the form..

Her mother was silver-spangled hamburg, and her father was buff-laced polish.

ETA: Didn't read the part with the five toes.. and didn't notice the feathering.. She might have had silkie in there somewhere.. But she looks like she has bearded polish in there to me!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  9. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:x2

10. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    silkie you can tell the blue ear lobe gives it away...mixed with an EE??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by