Hello all!!!

welcometoBYC.jpeg
Great news on the City where you live allowing Hens!

@Jeschel
Hello Benjamin,
I understand your plan and I think it is very plausible.
I would suggest making the 4 sqft floor, that will be at the 4ft end of the aviary, out of 1/2" plywood. This should be strong enough to support the max of 4 birds that the coop can support.
That floor should probably be supported on cinderblocks stacked just under 2' high with wooden beams/2x4's laid across them. You can screw the plywood floor into the beams.
I would suggest making a sweep out hatch at the back so that you can easily clean out the coop.
A front wall of plywood can be made. The remaining walls can be covered in a sturdy, weather proof & draft proof, material of your choice.
Make sure there is at least 1sqft of ventillation per bird above roost level for proper ventillation.
I would make external nesting boxes to maximize internal space.
I'd suggest a ramp leading out of the coop into the run.

Hope this helps :)
Cyprus

Thanks Cyprus for your suggestions. I thought of using some scrap 6x8 post that I have to Support the 4aqft footing and have them outside the cage to maximize the space inside.
But I like your idea of using cinderblocks but it’s would take up premium space inside the run. Also, where can I find cinderblocks that are close to 2 feet tall?
Benjamin

Back
Top Bottom