Hello all!!!

@Jeschel
Hello Benjamin,
I understand your plan and I think it is very plausible.
I would suggest making the 4 sqft floor, that will be at the 4ft end of the aviary, out of 1/2" plywood. This should be strong enough to support the max of 4 birds that the coop can support.
That floor should probably be supported on cinderblocks stacked just under 2' high with wooden beams/2x4's laid across them. You can screw the plywood floor into the beams.
I would suggest making a sweep out hatch at the back so that you can easily clean out the coop.
A front wall of plywood can be made. The remaining walls can be covered in a sturdy, weather proof & draft proof, material of your choice.
Make sure there is at least 1sqft of ventillation per bird above roost level for proper ventillation.
I would make external nesting boxes to maximize internal space.
I'd suggest a ramp leading out of the coop into the run.

Hope this helps :)
Cyprus

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

G'Day from down under Benjamin :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links:

Hi Cyprus, here is a pic of my aviary converted into a chicken coop.
Again the dimension is
12’ Long x 4’ Wide x 6’ High
I want to make the end the hen house so maybe covering the sides and Making a bottom.
Let me know what you think. Thanks,
Benjamin

Back
Top Bottom