Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Both the BB Red and Wheaton males are Black breasted reds, the differences are minor in the males such as lighter hackle color in teh wheaton that starts light, fades dark then light again. The Big difference is in the hens and without knowing for sure i would guess he is BB Red but you will know for sure if you try to hatch from him.

Quote:
I responded with hen Pics on your other thread, But can do it again here.

BB red Hen:
30249_sany0820.jpg

Wheaton, actually Blue wheatons but same color apattern and appearance. Just Blue where the wheaton is black.
30249_sany0778.jpg

yeah i knew what the wheaten hens looked like....

i'm just making sure that it is suggested to use wheaten hens to determine his true color.

what would happen if he was wheaten and he was bred with a red hen? would the chicks still be wheaten or would they follow his coloration....basically is wheaten a dominate color to all of the other colors in the OE variety or not?

Quote:
Wheaton is the pattern and patterns are not dominant or recesive. If mated to a BB red or Wheaton hen you will learn his true nature as the chick down color will be affected. Wheaton hatches nearly white and BB red are brown with "chipmonk" stripes. if you harch out of a wheaton hen and get a stripped chick you have your answer as to what he is. Crossing him with something else for yard birds is anyones guess as to what the results are.

Quote:
from outside sources ofcourse... that means lots of breeding to get back type... and its recessive...

there are only two sources in the USA I believe have that gene...

Cream Legbars(I believe they are pressent in the USA)

CJR from Montana has lemon millefleur Dutch but I don´t know if he post in this forum or not...

other ways are also possible, if one is able to segregate dominant Dilute(Di) from some Buff breeds(most believed to be pressent on Buff Minorcas and Buff cochins) but Nobody I Know(except me) is working on such a daunting task....

Edit..

cream light brown dutch are also pressent in the US....

this is how they look, I guess they are closer in looks to OEG´s than Leghbars...
IMG_5281.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom