Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

I have heard of that one, don't own it though. I wonder if it predates the Self Blue variety and he is using self blue to simply mean an all blue bird? Which might makes more sense. (Since Lemon Blue and Silver Blue both behave as Andalusian Blue when breeding them). Sorry to cause confusion.

No, as he also talks about Blue [as in Andalusian Blue]. He was definately meaning Self Blue.

Huh, well now in intrigued. Time to go get a pair of Birchen and a pair of Self Blue and see what happens. (I know we were talking about lemon blue before, but I like silver blue best)

Huh, well now in intrigued. Time to go get a pair of Birchen and a pair of Self Blue and see what happens. (I know we were talking about lemon blue before, but I like silver blue best)
You can set a self blue with silver hackle, seen them in american game they were very nice to look at.
I would expect that using a birchen male over self blue blue female all the offspring will be black some will show some hackle leakage, the females will be silver hackled the males likely a dirty silver like a 1st generation golden. When you mate the offspring to each other you will get some that show decent hackle color and decent self blue will take some time but can be done.

Upon further research I realized that my initial impressions were correct. You would use a blue, not a self blue (lavender) if you were creating them from scratch. Not to say a silver hackled self blue wouldn't be pretty to look at but it wouldn't be what I was after. OEGB are always a side project for me anyways.

does anyone have a nice silver blue pic? i don't think i have ever seen one, now im getting chicken envy again......... probably gonna have to build another barn LOL.

This is one of the cockrells we bred last year, I will try to a few more pics around here, or get some later when the rain subsides.

Those will be some pretty nice looking Crele when they fill out. Going to sound weird, but I love their heads. Last show I was at I noticed a lot of OEGB had narrow long heads, I like the heads on yours, more solid.

Those will be some pretty nice looking Crele when they fill out. Going to sound weird, but I love their heads. Last show I was at I noticed a lot of OEGB had narrow long heads, I like the heads on yours, more solid.
I think dubbing them makes them look that way. I think they look so much nicer with a nice comb. I wish the shows would let them be either way.

I think dubbing them makes them look that way. I think they look so much nicer with a nice comb. I wish the shows would let them be either way.
People not paying attention to the head when breeding them makes them that way. Not that I enjoy dubbing, but Old English look kinda awkward to me with a full comb, at least they don't look totally ridiculous with them like the Moderns do when undubbed.

Back
Top Bottom