Hello! Been a "lurker" for years, finally brought home chicks and decided to join BYC!

FLXChicken

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Hello! We're Tracy (and Gordon) from the Finger Lakes in New York, and I've been visiting BYC for years looking for advice and information while we decided on if and when we should get chickens.

I'm excited to join BYC because I have been reading posts on this site for years since it comes up in Google when I've searched on questions. As much as I like to read books on "how to" and what I should or shouldn't do, I find reading the Q&A here from people who are doing it to be encouraging. (So thanks!)

Our road to bringing home chicks is a long story - which I'll spare you! - but after moving to our 2 acres in the countryside in 2017, this year we finally decided to do it. We brought home eight chicks. (Finally, we have the budget, the time, and hopefully, the resources to do it right.) I saw a template for introducing oneself, so here it goes!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, we are new to chickens as of this year - in fact, we brought our first eight chicks home 4 weeks (and a day!) ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have eight curious chicks.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have four Australorps and four Plymouth Barred Rocks. I had also wanted Silver-Laced Wyandottes, but the chicks available weren't sexed and we didn't want to risk bringing home a rooster. (Although, I would love a Wyandotte rooster...)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Since we're new to this, I'm sure this answer will change. Right now we are in awe of how fast they are growing and changing! We are LOVING their unique personalities, too.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love to read and to write (Tracy), and my husband Gordon plays the guitar. We both LOVE to garden and cook at home.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

It's just my husband and myself (and the chickens!) here at home. We had two awesome male house cats up until a few years ago (passed away), which I miss terribly. We both work at tech jobs and spend WAY too much time over the laptop. (Sigh.) Anything else... hmm... we continue to work towards a more sustainable life and practice. And, we're homebodies. :)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I think I already answered this... but in short: Google is good to you - BYC comes up for a lot of searches about chickens! I've been reading posts for years, and now that we have chickens, I thought it would be a good idea to join.

PLUS -I like how kind your community is to one another. I've never seen a post in which other members were unkind. That is awesome.

So, I look forward to participating! And learning... especially the learning. Right now I know one of our biggest questions that we'll need to answer is: when are the chicks ready to go outside into the coop. They are 4 to 5 weeks old. We're in upstate NY, so I know we still need to wait because of temperatures going low. It's just figuring out when they are too big for the brooder and when the temps are just right. Got to find that "sweet spot"! :)

Hello, Tracy (and Gordon) and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Which Finger? I visit Cayuga and Seneca regularly. I even named two hens after those lakes!
I would put them out when they are 6 weeks old and give them a huddle box. It's been warming up lately. The huddle box should have thick bedding in it and be away from any drafts. You should put them in their coop/run today and tomorrow because it is going to be nice a warm.

Hello, Tracy (and Gordon) and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Which Finger? I visit Cayuga and Seneca regularly. I even named two hens after those lakes!
Hi DobieLover! Thanks for the welcome! We are closest to Canandaigua Lake, and we also visit Keuka Lake often. When I used to travel for work, I drove along Seneca Lake frequently. I love living in the Finger Lakes region. It's beautiful.

(PS: I grew up with a female Doberman (named Tara) from 1st grade to about 9th grade. She was a beautiful, intelligent dog, very protective of the women in the family, and yet a great family dog for all of us. I love the breed.)

Hi DobieLover! Thanks for the welcome! We are closest to Canandaigua Lake, and we also visit Keuka Lake often. When I used to travel for work, I drove along Seneca Lake frequently. I love living in the Finger Lakes region. It's beautiful.

(PS: I grew up with a female Doberman (named Tara) from 1st grade to about 9th grade. She was a beautiful, intelligent dog, very protective of the women in the family, and yet a great family dog for all of us. I love the breed.)
Have you driven down the west side of Seneca lake? The first time I saw the sign for The Pompous Ass winery, I just had to stop!
I got hooked on Dobies nearly a quarter century ago. I'm on #6, the gal in my avatar. All were rescues. All were/are wonderful. My new girl, Bella, keeps me on my toes as she can open doors. She shaved several years off my life a few weeks ago when she opened the front door and left taking the other two dogs and the cat with her. The neighbor texted me to let me know he corralled them all and put them back. I had to ask him to go back and lock the front door.

Welcome to BYC, Tracy and Gordon. My usual welcome spiel is to tell you how AWESOME this site is and how friendly and knowledgeable all here are but being "lurkers" you already know that....lol. welcome aboard. I/we (Jim and Blyth)are newbie also and have tapped the wealth of knowledge several times with great success. One word of advice to GORDON ..be prepared for lots of chicken keeping upgrades lol my better half reads the posts here and has come up with GREAT ideas to make the chickens happier, healthier, and better rounded....its a chicken life for us.

Back
Top Bottom