Hello fellow chicken pickers!

Erin Apple

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2017
For those of you who got that I Love Lucy chicken picker reference, watching that episode as a child is one of the many reasons I'm now the proud owner of a backyard coop and four (soon to be five) hens!

I decided to set up a backyard coop when we bought our house about a year and a half ago, and just over a year ago after building the coop with my husband and getting our permit I set out following a Craigslist ad to get three hens. I came home with four. This past weekend we just finished a coop/run expansion and this weekend I'll set out to bring home #5. My permit only allows five hens, and I'm happy I have this limit, as chicken math is obviously real!

I have a mixed flock (all about 1.5 years old) of one sweet buff orpington named Hazel, one curious barred rock named Eleanor, one crazy white-crested blue Polish named Sophia and one shy Easter egger (who lays brown eggs) named Ethel.

In my day job I'm an educator at a science museum, and my other pride and joy is my Maine coon cat Arthur. I also have a rescue dog, a freshwater aquarium and a corn snake. I like to kayak and am working on making and selling crafts right now, but my backyard chickens are my dominating hobby at the moment! I just started selling eggs, mostly to coworkers, and it's going very well - so I plan to adopt an adult Ameraucana hen this weekend to slowly integrate into our flock and add some blue or green eggs to the mix! (I'm thinking Clarabelle would be a good name.) I would love to hear everyone else's story! :)

Welcome to BYC, and glad to have you here. I just read the thread above yours, and they have an adult hen who decided to move to their yard. She lays blue eggs, LOL, and she wants to re-home it. Too bad you don't live near each other. Here is her thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/acquiredchicken.1203943/

Back
Top Bottom