Hello fellow Texans

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Teppler, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Teppler

Teppler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Denison, Texas
    I am new on the website and located in Denison ,Texas on the Oklahoma border. Just got into chickens last summer with originally 6 RIR chicks and 2 ducks, well after the hawks showed up I now have 2 grown laying hens and ducks are gone. I do enjoy my girls and they are so active and always ready for a treat of dried meal worms. I get 2 eggs most every day. I recently bought 8 new chicks of various breeds and am now seeing I have at least 3 or 4 roosters or maybe more. They are maybe 5 to 6 weeks old. Hoping I can find someone wanting to take them and give them a good home but if they just want a chicken dinner that will be okay with me although I don't think I could ever kill one. I might just let them free range on my 1 acre but not let them get to my girls..any opinions would be appreciated.

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

HS Pye

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Howdy! and [​IMG]

Sorry about that hawk trouble. I know around this time of year for us, the red-tail hawks visit us an awful lot. Depending on the day, we keep our chickens locked up; usually, though, they're aware of what's going on, so we let them out, knowing they'll be watchful. It helps to have places to hide (bushes & under our rabbit hutches & goat barns is where ours will run to hide), as well. Right now, it's the cold that's keeping them in. LOL : )

If you don't want to free-range them or haven't got hiding places, you could build a chicken tractor and move it around each day.

~ Pioneer : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by