Hello from Queensland!

angelalee

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2018
Redland Bay, Queensland, Austraia
Howdy, y'all! My name is Angela and I was adopted by a chicken about a month ago. That may sound strange, and indeed it actually is. To be clear, I never wanted to be a chicken keeper. Two reasons: 1) I am immensely lazy and 2) I am vegan, therefore chickens are not really my thing*.

* No judgment; you do you, boo.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
About a month ago I discovered a random hen living in the space under our house. She, like some of the other birds in the area, was feasting on our kitchen scraps (casually thrown into the backyard, because I am also too lazy to compost). Now, I know my neighbours, since this is a rural area. NO ONE has chickens.

Except apparently me. So yup, I am new to this.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

One. I named her Daisy. I intend on adopting some chickens in the near future, once I have a chicken coop.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I think, and I can't be certain, that she is an ISA Brown.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I found BYC after frantically Googling how to care for chickens, what chickens eat, lost Chickens Redlands area, etc.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a gigantic nerd-geek, therefore I play an obscure MMO and Pokemon Go. I like to go Geocaching in cooler months. Eating pizza is also a hobby. The best kind of hobby.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a cat parent to Theo, full time, "mature age" student studying towards a teaching degree, and I am an old soul that likes crochet, knitting, macrame and art journalling. I like dad jokes.

I decided to join today for two reasons - 1) Daisy made one heck of a weird looking egg today (assuming/hoping excess calcium - she did have a tablespoon of yoghurt as a treat yesterday) and 2) a goanna may have given me a heart attack when I looked out my window. I am not cool with adopting a goanna or having one near Miss Daisy.
IMG_8470.JPG IMG_8458.JPG IMG_8455.JPG IMG_8273.JPG

So, hi! Nice to meet you all. Anyone want a goanna?

G’Day from Far North Queensland Angela :frow Welcome!

That does not sound strange at all, you would be surprised by the number of times I have read or heard of chickens picking themselves a new parent :D Sounds like Daisy made a good choice :clap

Pass on the goanna thanks, got plenty here! ;)

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on the Aussie Thread.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one may be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - When eggs go wrong

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of Daisy and her new friends if/when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Hello and welcome to BYC, Angela. I'm sure the links given by Teila will be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom