Hello from Scotland! *Updated with piccies!*

Quote:
You wanna trade houses? LOL Only thing is my hubby will not wear a kilt
lau.gif

Quote:
Well we do get quite a bit of snow as we are fairly far north. Where in Scotland are your fathers relations from?

I love all the Scottish/American connections. We have relations in Buffalo.

Hi, just wanted to let you know my family roots are from Isle of Colonsay.

Quote:
Unfortunately no, he does not play pipes......he does not have the finger dexterity to play the chanter piece. Wished there is a way to play pipes but nothing like the finger pieces to go over. However he can play the bowed psaultery. (a cross between a harp and violin)

Why the kilt then? (Just curious, NOTHING wrong with a man in a kilt!!!)

Hubby's mother's side is Thompson and she is pretty much more than 3/4 Scottish and rest of it is Irish and English. He looks good in kilts and he is proud of it too! He loves the Jacobite era (whatever that means!)

My maternal male line came from Paisley Scotland and some of them came from Fife Scotland and some Wales in it too.

I would love to visit Paisley and see if any of my ancestors names were there at the church. It is sometime in era of Jacobite rebellion when they fleed to Americas. And some were prior to that Rebellion.

I do remember seeing on my satellite that there is a Clydesdale breeding farm on the east side of the island...cant remember the stud farm name. It was on RFD channel.

Quote:
That would be around the 1700's, if I'm not mistaken... my favorite time period, too.
smile.png

Quote:
Why the kilt then? (Just curious, NOTHING wrong with a man in a kilt!!!)

Hubby's mother's side is Thompson and she is pretty much more than 3/4 Scottish and rest of it is Irish and English. He looks good in kilts and he is proud of it too! He loves the Jacobite era (whatever that means!)

The Jacobite Risings were a series of uprisings, rebellions, and wars in the kingdoms of England, Kingdom of Scotland (later the United Kingdom of Great Britain), and Ireland occurring between 1688 and 1746. The uprisings were aimed at returning James VII of Scotland and II of England, and later his descendants of the House of Stuart, to the throne after he was deposed by Parliament during the Glorious Revolution. The series of conflicts takes its name from Jacobus, the Latin form of James.

The major Jacobite Risings were called the Jacobite Rebellions by the ruling governments. The "First Jacobite Rebellion" and "Second Jacobite Rebellion" were known respectively as "The Fifteen" and "The Forty-Five", after the years in which they occurred (1715 and 1745).

Although each Jacobite Rising has unique features, they all formed part of a larger series of military campaigns by Jacobites attempting to restore the Stuart kings to the thrones of Scotland and England (and after 1707, Great Britain) after James VII of Scotland and II of England was deposed in 1688 and the thrones claimed by his daughter Mary II jointly with her husband, the Dutch born William of Orange. The risings continued, and even intensified, after the House of Hanover succeeded to the British Throne in 1714. They continued until the last Jacobite Rebellion ("the Forty-Five"), led by Charles Edward Stuart (the Young Pretender), was soundly defeated at the Battle of Culloden in 1746, ending any realistic hope of a Stuart restoration.

My favourite era of Scottish history too. If any of you do make it over to Scotland you MUST visit Culloden moor where the above battle took place. The atmosphere is incredible. It literally makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Amazing place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BYC from Maine, USA!! Thank you for sharing the photos of your area and explaining a bit of history, very interesting. It is awsome to hear of the history of peoples towns, country and lives.
We forget how close we are to being alike. Welcome again!

Back
Top Bottom