Hello from us in England.

Good Morning to all staff and members of Backyard Chickens.com We have just signed up and we live in Somerset, England.

We started with 4 New Hampshire Reds (now 3 due to an illness) about 3 years ago, in a coop and secure run in the corner of our back garden, the run was turfed and lasted about a week, so (feeling sorry for them) we fenced of a larger run outside of their (secure run) and put a loose net over the open area to deter any other birds. They were happy chucks in their indoor - outdoor area, but the grass and the shrubs and the bean plants were not, it all went within a week. Now they have another extention which runs round the greenhouse and our lawn, which is also void of grass. I refuse to let them have more, but the wife, well ! they would have the run of the place if I gave in.
That is us, we are happy with our girls even though they have more or less given up laying (that's another story), they are now pets and very entertaining ones at that. Looking forward to reading the blogs etc.

Robert & Olwen
Howdy, Us, and :welcome. It's informative, covers about every subject known to mankind, & it's entertaining, to say the least.
I have enough land that my birds couldn't possibly eat all the vegetation they free-range (including, much to her dislike, DW's flower beds), but inside the fence is a different story; just like yours. I have two coops/runs; I alternate pens daily, letting one bunch out while the other is confined; keeps the less-than-bright ones from roosting in the wrong coop.

IMG_1899.jpg

Hi Robert & Olwen, welcome to BYC!

BYC-rainbow-hen 2.png

hithere.gif
Glad to have you join the group! If your chickens are only 3 yrs old, they're probably not done laying "forever". My girls laid great through their first winter, a little less the second, and then completely quit the 3rd winter, but started again in the spring. All breeds are a little different, but usually chickens won't go through their first true molt until about year 2 or 3, at which point their body shuts down egg production to be able to produce new feathers, and it usually also happens to be the time of year when days become shorter. Laying hens need at least 14 hrs of daylight to stimulate the pineal gland which also regulates egg production. So sounds pretty normal to me.

As far as your yard goes,
I think many of us have that same problem...
custom-landscaped.png

Back
Top Bottom