Hello from Western Virginia!

WhatTheDuck1177

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Hi, I'm Allison. I live in the mountains of western Virginia, in Bath County. I'm 25.

I posted some pictures below of my babies. The pictures were just taken! By the way, the ducklings go back inside at night. They're just inside a little playpen that my father made for me to put them outside, during the day.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had 4 australorp hens and 1australorp rooster for a month, but then the bear ate them😢. That was June-July 2018.
I got 4 ducklings and 9 chicks from Tractor Supply towards the end of March this year.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have 9 chicks and 4 ducklings.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 6 ISA Brown chicks that are sexed, and 3 bantams that are silkies (I think). I think 2 are female and 1 is a male. I have 4 ducklings, I'm not sure what they are. One is yellow, turning white, with a pink bill. Two of them are darker brown with brown bills and brown tootsies. The other one is a lighter brown with a light brown/pinkish bill and light brown tootsies. I know I figured out what my ducklings were by reading the threads of people asking what types their ducklings were.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love having something to get up and take care of every day. I love watching them, they're so funny! I love watching them mess around with each other and grow. They're so adorable but stinky! I love having fresh eggs and being able to share them and sell them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm currently going to school for Horticulture. I've already received my career studies certificate in plant production. I love working in greenhouses and propagating plants!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My father helps me take care of my ducks and chickens and my mother supplies the yummy table scraps that they enjoy. I have 2 kitties that are 8 years old and they enjoy watching the birds. I have a tortoiseshell kitty, and her name is Roxy. She likes to observe them and stalk them, but she knows they aren't prey. My other kitty is Mocha Bear, he's black and he's scared of them.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I found BYC through google searches. I was googling lots of questions I had about types of food you can feed them. I would end up looking on here for a couple of hours. There's a lot of good information on here and a lot of the members seem like they can offer good advice and help. I also saw that some members raise and sell special breeds of birds. I'm planning on ordering some different breeds next year, depending on how it goes this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0796.jpeg
    IMG_0796.jpeg
    662.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Yes, they do now. With my old chickens, my fiance thought the coop was good. It wasn't. My father tried and tried to tell him, but he wouldn't listen. I was working at a music festival when the bear came, so I wasn't there to make sure they were put up properly. :rantHe thought he knew better, but clearly he didn't and wouldn't take any advice or help. It was really a piss poor excuse for a coop. My father has built many coops in his life. Coops with automatic timers that close at night, and just coops that are all around safe!

Anyway, my father purchased me the cutest little coop that looks like a little, blue beach house! It has a little sign hanging on the front of it that says "Surfer Chicks". We have also put up a fence with a larger perimeter, better wire, more posts, TALLER posts. The job's getting done properly now.:rolleyes:

The chicks and ducklings are currently being kept in the sunroom right now since they're so small. The ducklings get taken outside during the day and brought back in at night. I watch them, go out and check on them, the windows are open too so I can hear them.

Attachments

• Ducklings.gif
    Ducklings.gif
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
Hello, Allison, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Do they have a predator proof run and coop? Electric fencing placed around a predator proof enclosure along with removing the feed each night can go a long way to protecting your flock from bears.

I believe there was a cooler full of feed left outside too! The bear was just doing what a bear does. My significant other was just being dumb and lazy :rant:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom