Hello.. just searching for information.

Picture_20200705_160206387.jpg

I agree there is something very cathartic about chicken keeping. Satisfying that maternal instinct is awesome as well, and lets face it chickens are just fun to have and they pay rent!
I showed Ariel to one my neighbors several weeks ago and she looked down at me and bent over..(not hard to do, I'm 4 ft 8 and said in a serious voice :
'you do realize that you are talking to a chicken, don't you?'
I realized I had been talking directly to Ariel like she was a little kitten. I petted her like one too!
:love
in other news, I placed Ariel in the dog kennel in the chicken coop a few days ago. I make sure, of course, she has water, food, and treats. I've noticed that Blondie always checks on her (and/OR is she looking for a way to attack her, I can't tell!) every morning when I am changing their water and checking their food. We don't have snow and they are free to wander my property. I am hoping and praying (yes, literally praying!) that somehow, she manages to reintegrate into the flock and I can put this miserable episode behind us. (ie Ariel and me) I am still considering, if everything fails to make her a house chicken, but I'll never be able to eat chicken again, if I do .. as it is, I've not eaten chicken since I took over their care. Thank you all so much for your help. This has been a very difficult year for me.

Welcome Kathymary 💕 caring for the flock will aid in your healing. You've come to a great place, tons of knowledgeable chicken folk.
I think having my little flock and 2 house cats is keeping me alive. The grief gets unbearable. I don't mean to make this seem ominous, it is just caring for them helps me feel connected to love and beauty.. someone or something to take care of... I like doing it .

I think having my little flock and 2 house cats is keeping me alive. The grief gets unbearable. I don't mean to make this seem ominous, it is just caring for them helps me feel connected to love and beauty.. someone or something to take care of... I like doing it .
I agree there is something very cathartic about chicken keeping. Satisfying that maternal instinct is awesome as well, and lets face it chickens are just fun to have and they pay rent!

Hi, everyone ... Ariel is looking far better now.. there are only a few places on her comb where the blood/medicine is still caked and I can't seem to get that off without hurting her. Slowly its just falling off. Her neck feathers are growing back and no dried blood, there. She seems restless and miserable and I visit her a few times a day and hold and pet her... I don't know if that is good or silly of me. I think it comforts me more than her. It is going to rain with freezing temps here the next few days. Yes, snow is a possiblity. This early? Yes. Part of me thinks I should reintroduce her now. Part is apprehensive and very concerned that it is not yet. Is caution better or is she suffering because she is away from her usual home?

Can anyone give me some extra advice. could put her in the coop today in the cat carrier (now officially a chicken carrier!) If you think I am hesitating out of fear, you would be right. A friend gave me a wooden box and I think that will be my ultimate tool Give her someplace to hide if the other chickens give her grief.
Thank you again... OH and i just looked out the window towards the coop - it looks like a young deer found it's way into the compound. :confused::lau

Welcome to BYC.
We are very Eggcited you joined.
First and foremost, I am so sorry to read about the recent death of your husband. I certainly hope you can find peace in pursuing his chicken hobby.
Second, I hadn't heard much about anyone "Tatting" anymore. That is so kool and will be a lost art someday so. I'm glad your still "Tatting".

Thank you. I have been watching a lot of videos about raising chickens. I'm starting to create a procedure to reintroduce little Ariel into the flock. I hope it works. The gist seems to be to reintroduce her slowly. I hope I will succeed. There is so much to learn! They are predicting a snow tonight and tomorrow. Winter is coming early (though a friend with horses tell me that she thinks it will be a mild winter!)
My mother and grandmother both tatted. I pretty much taught myself. I haven't done any this year but I am trying to calm down and be creative... this loss pretty much broke my heart to be honest. I truly believe there is healing when we do our arts and crafts.

Hi, everyone ... Ariel is looking far better now.. there are only a few places on her comb where the blood/medicine is still caked and I can't seem to get that off without hurting her. Slowly its just falling off. Her neck feathers are growing back and no dried blood, there. She seems restless and miserable and I visit her a few times a day and hold and pet her... I don't know if that is good or silly of me. I think it comforts me more than her. It is going to rain with freezing temps here the next few days. Yes, snow is a possiblity. This early? Yes. Part of me thinks I should reintroduce her now. Part is apprehensive and very concerned that it is not yet. Is caution better or is she suffering because she is away from her usual home?

Can anyone give me some extra advice. could put her in the coop today in the cat carrier (now officially a chicken carrier!) If you think I am hesitating out of fear, you would be right. A friend gave me a wooden box and I think that will be my ultimate tool Give her someplace to hide if the other chickens give her grief.
Thank you again... OH and i just looked out the window towards the coop - it looks like a young deer found it's way into the compound. :confused::lau
Definitely introduce her slowly, the other birds very well may attack her. Can you section off space in the coop or run so they can see but not touch her for a week or so? This will really help slow the aggression down.

Back
Top Bottom