Hello N. Carolina!!!

Good to hear about the place on Barrow Drive. I just learned there is a Tractor Supply up in Knightdale and we visited there last weekend.

If anyone near Raleigh is into rooster decor, there's a big sale at Hudson-Belk at Crabtree Valley. We were up there last night and they have lots of things with roosters: cookie jars, plates, trays, salt and pepper shakers, a woven circular rug, cast iron door stops,and a REALLY neat pitcher. You hold the rooster by his tail and pour out through his beak.

Everything is marked down 50 to 65 percent. It's all nice stuff: Hudson Belk is a nice store. I think the ceramic pitcher ended up being about nine bucks.

Hi everyone! Guienalady here, real name Pam.In Belvidere nc. Have been out of raising chickens for a little while. and getting baack into it. Just bought some frizzled japanez,mixed bantams,Guineas. already have 6rir hens and a rooster 5 little blue bantams 5 call ducks and as of this morning 5 baby rir jusst hatched. we have 51/2 acres mosstly weeds.! also raise chihuahuas. anyway thought i'd say hi to everone.

Hi there--
I live in eastern NC about 40 miles west of the OUter banks. Originally from Chicago and never had chickens, now we have too many to count. They free range around our property and roost in a chicken house. We have all kinds of mixed breeds, RI reds, partridge banties, cuckoo marans, fayoumis, silkies, white faced spanish, anconas and americaunas. I love my chickens! We also have a flock of turkeys running around, with a few eggs in the incubator. I guess when all is said and done we have about 30 turkeys and 35 chickens. I'd like to add some guinea hens and a peacock or two to our flock someday. And imagine breeding pheasants for meat would be something I'd enjoy.
Nice to meet you all.

Welcome cuckoo! Sounds like a great farm!
yippiechickie.gif

Hey every one. I live in Sanford which is about 40 miles south of Raleigh NC. We are just getting into chickens. My husband is out side building our chicken coop. I'm going to get my chickens next week, we hope, I want the coop and run to be as predeter proof as we can make it, I have read on the forum pages about racoons grabbing a chicken through the coop and nawing there legs off. Any tips as how to protect them from hungry animals? Thanks ya'll

Hi all welcome to the boards.

NCcountrygirl---depending on what you are using for your run, you need something about a foot high that a racoon can't get it's hand thru. Something like "hardware cloth" or heavy duty chicken wire around the bottom of the whole run.

My girls have access to the run 24/7. It's chain link but the bottom foot is all "hardware cloth" Stops the little peeps from popping out the holes too, lol.
jumpy.gif

Hi North Carolina!! I was excited to know how many of us are on these boards! I live in Oak Island, that is south of Wilmington, near Southport
cool.png

I have a dilemma...
I thought I had 5 hens and well, you can guess the rest. I have a roo. The problem is that I can't have one on the Island. He is so sweet, a fabulous bird, I think Americauna, maybe someone can confirm that. He is just 18 weeks old, just started crowing a few weeks ago when his tail feathers came in! So, can anyone help me? I would love him to find a great place to roam, I just hate to be parted from him. He is super easy to handle, my 5 year old carries him everywhere and not agressive with the girls (they keep him in his place if you know what I mean). So take a look and let me know if you have any other questions, also a woman in SC is trying to figure out if he could fit with her flock (see "Everything Else Chicken", "flock dynamics" if you can help us with those questions! Thanks!!!
grey1.jpg

grey2.jpg

Definitely a cockerel and you're right on the breed, too. Well, Ameracauna, Aracauna or Easter Egger, not sure which, but you've got the general idea of it. hehe

Back
Top Bottom