Hello there

Kako112

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
Today i came home from a trip, and noticed something im concerned about

Its not the first or second time i see this behaviour, my rooster starts alarm calling whenever he sees a hen in the nest... i dont know if he's happy, stressed or if he doesnt want the specific hen to lay in that specific nest, she usually lays in a nest above the ground, but i decided to move it to the ground leve so the chicks that will hath can safely go in and out of the nest, shes not broody, just laying

Roosters are unfortunately kinda my thing. I love their psychology. What you are seeing here is a very proud and happy rooster. This is actually a very wonderful sign he is a good rooster (with sought after traits). This is just one part of his romantic side. He is not alert calling. He is singing his little heart out encouraging the hen. Showing his support. It's a unique call. A lot like the egg song but ever so slightly different. They can also do a regular egg song but it's usually along side the hens and a little more in tune with them. Very similar and pretty much mean the same thing. It's more like a you've got this song. Where as the egg song is congratulations you've done it.

Multiple roosters will actually chime in together without any hens joining them. Sometimes the older, more motherly hens will join in as well if more than one rooster is singing and it's a younger hen in the box. Do not discourage this behavior. It's what you want to see in a rooster or mature flock in general. They support each other.

Roosters are unfortunately kinda my thing. I love their psychology. What you are seeing here is a very proud and happy rooster. This is actually a very wonderful sign he is a good rooster (with sought after traits). This is just one part of his romantic side. He is not alert calling. He is singing his little heart out encouraging the hen. Showing his support. It's a unique call. A lot like the egg song but ever so slightly different. They can also do a regular egg song but it's usually along side the hens and a little more in tune with them. Very similar and pretty much mean the same thing. It's more like a you've got this song. Where as the egg song is congratulations you've done it.

Multiple roosters will actually chime in together without any hens joining them. Sometimes the older, more motherly hens will join in as well if more than one rooster is singing and it's a younger hen in the box. Do not discourage this behavior. It's what you want to see in a rooster or mature flock in general. They support each other.
Cute!

Interesting.

Wow, thank you!
I am really proud of him right now, ive noticed him sitting in the nest and all, i dont know for how long but yesterday i cracked 2 eggs and there was little blood vessels, here is winter and very cold, could he be trying to brood them?

Absolutely normal for them to do that every day. Some roosters do in fact go broody. More likely he was inspecting the nest and making sure it's safe for his girls. I've got one who will inspect them at least twice daily and if a hen goes broody he will always stand out front and be on guard. He will also be on guard while she's laying. If there are two broody hens, he's smart and doesn't pick a favorite. Instead he sits high on his roost all day watching them both. He's a very successful mate because he charms them all.

If your rooster sits for extended periods of time in the nest though, he is likely a broody rooster which is rarer :). That can be both a good and bad trait depending on your situation. If you need him more for protection for the flock then he isn't doing his job as well. However in his mind I'm sure he is protecting something that matters more to him, his future flock members. If you need more care towards your eggs then he's absolutely priceless.

Some roosters will just brood the eggs while the mother goes and gets food for herself. Some roosters will even bring her food. They have incredibly complex social intelligence. These caring and supportive ones are the roosters you want to breed with. The mean ones are useless and only hurt the girls. The hens will be scared and skittish, torn to shreds and stressed out. Most will tell you to cull those meaner roos. You should definitely be proud of him.

Absolutely normal for them to do that every day. Some roosters do in fact go broody. More likely he was inspecting the nest and making sure it's safe for his girls. I've got one who will inspect them at least twice daily and if a hen goes broody he will always stand out front and be on guard. He will also be on guard while she's laying. If there are two broody hens, he's smart and doesn't pick a favorite. Instead he sits high on his roost all day watching them both. He's a very successful mate because he charms them all.

If your rooster sits for extended periods of time in the nest though, he is likely a broody rooster which is rarer :). That can be both a good and bad trait depending on your situation. If you need him more for protection for the flock then he isn't doing his job as well. However in his mind I'm sure he is protecting something that matters more to him, his future flock members. If you need more care towards your eggs then he's absolutely priceless.

Some roosters will just brood the eggs while the mother goes and gets food for herself. Some roosters will even bring her food. They have incredibly complex social intelligence. These caring and supportive ones are the roosters you want to breed with. The mean ones are useless and only hurt the girls. The hens will be scared and skittish, torn to shreds and stressed out. Most will tell you to cull those meaner roos. You should definitely be proud of him.
Woow, i am amazed!!

I mean, he is beautiful, charming and careful...

I wanted him for babies and i am not regreting it, probably in spring ill be full of baby chicks around with a boy like this on charge, he is protective without agression, anything he sees that is unusual or suddent, he screams like a air raid siren, do their wild relatives behave like that too?

Back
Top Bottom