Hello There!

Morning: I keep checking for eggs too. The only eggs I am going to get in the near future will be from my Americauna (or EE) I have two I don't know, maybe ones a rooster so my waiting will be in vain!! The JG I have may not lay until they are close to a year old...What was I thinking! And as you know one of them is a rooster as well. It's unfortunate that they don't hatch pink and blue, then there would be no surprises! I don't mind one rooster (though I can't vouch for my neighbors), but two is definitely too many! I would love to have as many chickens as you, you must have a large parcel of land? I only have 1/2 acre and I don't really live in the country I live just 10 minutes out of town from a small city. Do you take Rocky hunting? If so is he a good hunting dog?

hello again! yes i have 46 acres surrounded by 1000s of acres of state land on 3 sides, this is good and bad becuse coyetes and foxes are everywhere. Also have a retired racing horse, a big lawn ornament
smile.png
. Rocky is a wonderful huntinng dog, can't wait til pheasant season starts again in October! looked at you you album, what a nice coop you have! did you build that? how are your chickens going to handle the cold weather you get, i am a little worried about....they say ventilation is the most important thing in a coop, but do i do in the winter close all windows?? hmmmmm

Hi Gus. I am envious of all your property! My husband built the coop. He worked really hard on it. He didn't want chickens, but now really enjoys them. The coop is insulated (with styrofoam) and I will put a heat lamp in it come the cold weather. I am going to add some vents on the peak of the coop (front & back) then I will close the windows in the winter. (We can get as cold as -40 c with a wind chill which makes it feel like -46 to -50 sometimes! Hopefully we will have a milder winter like we had last year here. We have coyotes and foxes too. I am already joking about building a bigger coop or adding on to our coop because I want more chickens. We put in a nesting box yesterday, but I don't like it because it takes up too much room. I wanted the nest box to be attached to the outside of the coop, but my husband Rod doesn't want to cut a hole in the side of the coop, so the box is inside attached to an inner wall. We wil see who wins.

hi Janine, good to hear from you again! i am hoping we get a mild winter like last year too....-40c ouch that is cold, you guys are tough! i can access my nest boxes from the outside, they are under covered roof like you saw in the photos, that way i don't have to go inside plus like you said does not take room from the coop. i am sure your husband will do it once he sees the benefit of it all just needs a little encouragement. Rocky has been behaving and i am very tempted to test them and him to see if they behave, wish me luck. i will let you know if i loose any.

Good Luck Gus!! I believe that dogs may begin to accept the other animals as part of the "family". I know all my dogs have chased other peoples cats that have been in our yard but never do that with our family cat, same with rabbits, would chase wild ones in the yard, but when I had a pet rabbit, they would cuddle with it. Though if an animal (ie: chicken) gets flighty or runs around, it does seem to trigger some biological prey drive in dogs, I guess maybe with training? But then again, that would be really annoying when you took Rocky out hunting and he didn't know how to do his job anymore when it came to wild game birds that you want to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom