Hello!!

Mabel22

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Hello fellow chicken lovers. My nickname is Mabel22, actual name is Kim :) I've been raising chickens since 2011.

Two weeks ago I had 2 beautiful pairs of Barred Rocks, 2 hen and 1 rooster Orpintons, and 8 Coturnix Quail. I also have 4 Toulouse goslings. Then one night my neighbours 4 dogs decimated my chicken coop and killed all but 2 of my chickens. We have since built a new stronger coop. I am down to one hen and one rooster, both Orpingtons. The only reason they did not kill my one hen and rooster is because they are loose in my yard, and my hen is broody and sitting on her nest.

Now we have our Orpingtons, and I am happy to say 3 of our eggs hatched this morning, so now I guess I'm up to 5 Orpingtons!! (and of course Oliver, Elliot, Quincy and Bijou...the geese)

I have been on BYC for a while but I haven't had much of a chance to be active, but i have lots of questions and continually reference this forum. This is the best forum I've found!!

We are a family of 6 ( 2 adult children and 2 teenage children) so they keep me busy for the most part. We live in the country, garden, fish, hunt, and run a family automotive shop.

We also have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Thanks for having me!!

kim.jpg
enjoy byc farmer connie.jpg farmer-connie-fire-works-we.gif

Welcome to BYC. So sorry you lost so many flock members. There was a predator survey on BYC a while back & the #1 predator selected was DOG! Years ago, we had a neighbor who’s dog kept getting out & coming onto our property & killed 3 barred rock, 3 separate times. Each time we were home & were letting the chickens free range on our 3 acres & stopped the attack quickly. The third time, I offered to help the neighbor repair her fence & explained that we would have no other choice but to shoot the dog if it came on our property again. She had horses & a colt & said she would kill a predator if it was doing the same. We repaired her fence & the dog never escaped again. I have used a shock collar to train our dog not to chase chickens. If your friends with the neighbor, you might suggest that. It only took 2 good zaps & our cattle dog is good as gold with the chickens. Or maybe your neighbor can install an inground electric fence to keep their dog in their yard. Just know if it gets a chance, it will return.

Our neighbours continually let their dogs run, much to our dismay. This isn't the first time they have attacked our animals. We used to have a horse that their dogs chased relentlessly!! Over the years they have gone from 3 dogs and 2 chained up to 4 dogs and they all run loose, and we have called the dog catcher and spoken to the neighbour time and time again. Unfortunately until they learn we may have to shoot a dog :(

Back
Top Bottom