Help 2 Guinea Keets with Slipped Tendon

VansBantams

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2017
I have two,two week old Guinea Keets with the same problem. I want to put them into some sort of sling or chair but I don’t have any instructions on how to make one. Were not sure if the tendon is even in place. This is what we have so far.
Please share your ideas and what I should do with them to try to get the tendon into place.

Attachments

• EFB7511D-939F-48A3-88B7-3083CF399272.jpeg
    EFB7511D-939F-48A3-88B7-3083CF399272.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 30
EE62C082-E375-45AA-A621-9898FAEBC960.jpeg
Update. We have a cast made out of cotton and vet wrap on their legs to keep it in place. We tried a hammock but they used their wings to get out of it. Going to try the tape splint method. I really hope that their legs aren’t fused already.
F7E90290-4364-4FFF-AF83-C1766F71C2D0.jpeg

28CFCB98-22C9-4267-B714-0FF6066D748C.jpeg

Let's see if @WVduckchick has any tips. I have not personally dealt with Slipped tendon, but from what I understand, you can feel the tendon "roll" under your fingers if it's out of place, the goal would be to try to get it put back in place, then wrap.

Some chicks (regardless if they are Quail;)) do not handle being place in a chair very well. Some people have had success by placing a piece of cloth over the bird when they are in a sling/chair to keep them stabilized, but if they are struggling a lot, then I would think they could injure their legs even further.

Can you describe what it’s doing when you have nothing on the legs, just naturally sitting in the floor? Legs stretched out behind, to the side, or what? Do the legs bend at all, or stay straight?

Can you describe what it’s doing when you have nothing on the legs, just naturally sitting in the floor? Legs stretched out behind, to the side, or what? Do the legs bend at all, or stay straight?
The worst leg stays straight behind and the other leg stays under but foot is turned inward.

The straight behind ones are hardest to fix. I’m going to copy/paste some info that I wrote up for someone else, it’s been tried and worked a few times. I’ve had to cull ones that just couldn’t be fixed.
Good luck!

Here's what I would try if it were mine. Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand (kinda bowling ball or lawn-dart starting motion) and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. (keep your hand under, but not touching, and don't drop her! lol) When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the bird, and I would think its worth a try.

The straight behind ones are hardest to fix. I’m going to copy/paste some info that I wrote up for someone else, it’s been tried and worked a few times. I’ve had to cull ones that just couldn’t be fixed.
Good luck!

Here's what I would try if it were mine. Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand (kinda bowling ball or lawn-dart starting motion) and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. (keep your hand under, but not touching, and don't drop her! lol) When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the bird, and I would think its worth a try.
I’ll attempt that hopefully it works. Just built a sling for her out of a sock. We wrapped up her legs but were not sure if the tendon is in place.
637224E9-C1E0-4ADA-9158-15291621AE12.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom