HELP 3 day old chick won’t eat or drink!!

79828CD7-0880-43A5-B0CE-DD84E38BBA46.png

Can the chick walk? You said it waddles back under the heat, is it splayed? I often leave a shallow food plate and water plate with a small part under the lip of the heat plate so they don’t have to leave the heat to eat and drink at first.

if you are offering food and water and it won’t take it, it has either been eating/drinking when you aren’t looking, or it is just one who won’t thrive and will waste away, or perhaps something is stuck in its crop. Does the crop feel full or empty?
Empty and no it’s not splayed. It struggles on walk certain things so at the minute I’m using paper towels

How do I give it the molasses? Do I mix it with water? Should I just put it in a small dish and put its beak in it?

How do I give it the molasses? Do I mix it with water? Should I just put it in a small dish and put its beak in it?
I think it can be mixed with water, but the way I do it is get a drop on your finger, and put it on the side of its beak. It'll swallow. Do that a few times. It can cause diahrrea in the other chicks, so its best to just give it to the one that needs it. Don't give it for more than 3 days straight though.

The only thing I can suggest is this: We had chicks in the bathtub under a heat lamp (which we no longer use, because the "Mama heat pads" are far better. BUT...one chick was under the heat lamp and it was actually overheating. The chick became lethargic and basically collapsed under the lamp, not even trying to go to another part of the tub where it was cooler. We pulled the heat lamp, the chick cooled off, and became responsive again. So you might try dropping the temperature a bit. How hot is it where the chick is now? And what, exactly is the heat source?

Tha
I think it can be mixed with water, but the way I do it is get a drop on your finger, and put it on the side of its beak. It'll swallow. Do that a few times. It can cause diahrrea in the other chicks, so its best to just give it to the one that needs it. Don't give it for more than 3 days straight though.
Thank you! Il try it. It has been pooping so hoping that’s a good sign

The heat
The only thing I can suggest is this: We had chicks in the bathtub under a heat lamp (which we no longer use, because the "Mama heat pads" are far better. BUT...one chick was under the heat lamp and it was actually overheating. The chick became lethargic and basically collapsed under the lamp, not even trying to go to another part of the tub where it was cooler. We pulled the heat lamp, the chick cooled off, and became responsive again. So you might try dropping the temperature a bit. How hot is it where the chick is now? And what, exactly is the heat source?
the heat source is a brooder that I bought. I’ve used it with other hatches and had no problems. When I take it out from under the heat it will chirp loudly till it’s back under it. I’ve attached a picture of the brooder I’ve got

Attachments

• 8E225E95-3A6F-43BF-8782-BC02EF699BD8.png
    8E225E95-3A6F-43BF-8782-BC02EF699BD8.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom