HELP!!!! 3 Dead Chickens

Northernchicken

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
I have 20 Isa Browns that are 5 months old. One died yesterday, 2 today. Their vents were bleeding and most of the other 17 have blood around their vents as well. One week ago I added some other chickens I hatched 3 months ago. I have since seperated them again, it did not go well. I don't know if they had some disease they never had any symptoms and the 3 month old ones have no blood. I am new to having chickens and would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
you say the vents are bleeding, have they been hurt, picked? is their poop bloody. My first thought goes to Cocci. even if it is not cocci it is good to have the medicine anyway and it is pretty harmless.

Go to First state vet http://firststatevetsupply.com/ and get some liquid Amprol (you will be putting it in their water) it blocks vitamin B I believe and that is what the cocci need to live in the chickens body.

In the meantime (and this is helpful no matter what the problem is) make a probiotic mash with 1 part feed 1 part real live culture yogurt, some shredded apple, and some buttermilk mix all together till like oatmeal. Put in a bowl and sprinkle with their favorite treat (scratch, cracked corn whatever) while they are watching to draw them to eat it.

In addition put food grade DE in their food and powdered milk in their feed as well.

If it is cocci this will help them out until the Amprol Arrives if not these things will also help and certainly will not hurt.

Cocci is very common and all birds have some but some need a little help developing an immunity to it and during that time they get overwhelmed and it can make them very sick, poop blood, and be lethargic, fluffed up and die quickly after that.

Also any other symptoms would be helpful.

Last edited:
Unfortunately chickens can and will peck at anything. It sounds to me like you have a bird/birds that are pecking at the others vent and then the whole flock is following suit. If they peck and draw blood then its a free for all and it only takes a short time to kill that bird.

Last edited:
No they have not been picked at, some of their feathers look a little ruffled. What is food grade DE?

detritis earth - my spelling is often off sorry, but it is little sea creature fossils in a powdered form, it feels like baby powder but actually has microscopic skarp edges that dont hurt mamals (including humans) but cut up the parisites and worms that chickens can get. You can find it at feed stored but it must be FOOD Grade, not for pool filters, that stuff will kill them.

oh I wanted to add there are stronger medicines for cocci but this is the method I prefer some might not agree and it may take 2 rounds of the Amprol for the ones that have it badly.

The reason for the powdered milk in the feed (use a lot mix in well) and the buttermilk is that it will coat the intestines where the sores are and the bleeding is coming from, it is a quick fix to help ease their discomfort and keep from bleeding to much, but really should be backed up with Amprol when you can.

Diatomaceous earth, search for it in forum search. You'll come up with oodles of info.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom