HELP!!! 3 week chick foot swollen

The swollen areas are like blisters. They are squishy
When frostbite is suspected, do not massage or rub the legs and feet, and do not break the blisters. Vetericyn or Theracyn wound spray which you can find at feed stores are good to use, since it does not need to be rubbed on.

Do you have a heat lamp on your chicks in their brooder? Usually frostbite occurs when they get their feet wet and suddenly are in freezing weather.

When frostbite is suspected, do not massage or rub the legs and feet, and do not break the blisters. Vetericyn or Theracyn wound spray which you can find at feed stores are good to use, since it does not need to be rubbed on.

Do you have a heat lamp on your chicks in their brooder? Usually frostbite occurs when they get their feet wet and suddenly are in freezing weather.
That’s so weird. They are inside the house at all times. And they have a 250 watt heat light and a brooder heater on then at all times. This is so sad. I’ve applied Vetericyn and have ordered more.

What is your brooder set-up like? Are they outside in a brooder with a heat lamp?

The brooder is in the living room. I just put her back with everyone, to keep her spirits up. Since we know it’s not contagious. There is the 250 watt panics the run and a black panel brooder Panel standing in the coop area. I’ve keep them at the 95 degrees, then minus 5 temps weekly since I’ve gotten them.

Attachments

• 0FA84CA9-4418-4AB4-8B82-C8FB244B8B3A.jpeg
    0FA84CA9-4418-4AB4-8B82-C8FB244B8B3A.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 4
  • BFB613CA-B7CF-4060-B2AB-7F24BD4374C1.jpeg
    BFB613CA-B7CF-4060-B2AB-7F24BD4374C1.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 12FCCB56-8402-493B-BF50-A80D51229C19.jpeg
    12FCCB56-8402-493B-BF50-A80D51229C19.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 5
No the tape was tight enough to stay on. And it was wrapped only for 36 hours to straighten the toe.
No other band. I don’t wrap it that tight. I thought I wrapped it tight enough to stay on. Now I’m second guessing everything. I feel so horrible. She’s still waking around, to get food and water. So if it was too tight, what now? :hit

Well, if you have kept them inside all this time, the frostbite must have occurred during the shipping. Most companies ship 25 chicks or they insert a heat pack that is supposed to last, although I have received them the next day, and the heat pack was cold. I don’t think it was your taping.

I am so sorry about your poor little chick. Whatever you decide to do is up to you. It may lose one foot and some toes. You could think about putting her down, or if you can devote the time, try to treat it and see what happens. I hope that I am wrong, but after seeing a lot of threads here about frostbite, it looks bad, especially in a little chick. If you do continue to treat it, take pictures during the treatment and post them here. We all care about the chicks that are written about here.

In my expirence with frostbites feet soon as they stop walking around and moving you know there not going to make it. I had one bad one 2 years ago and he started loosing the skin around his feet and legs he died the next day. You do what you think is best for the chick in the end it’s your choice if the bird isn’t suffering and you can devote time into this chick daily then keep spraying it and soaking it’s feet. Good luck hope u make the right decision keep us updated too

Back
Top Bottom