Help! 5 week old - Roo or Pullet?

LaurenBrianna

Hatching
Apr 6, 2020
Hi all,
New chicken owner here- would love to hear people’s opinions on whether or not I have a Roo or a pullet?

Many thanks,
Lauren.

Attachments

• 27BF4461-EC33-4048-8FA0-799A6446FA22.jpeg
    27BF4461-EC33-4048-8FA0-799A6446FA22.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 10
Since that's a very dark barred chick, I can tell that's a pullet. With barred or cuckoo patterned chickens (except male sex links) the pullets and hens are very dark compared to their much lighter cockerel and rooster brothers. This is due to the barring gene. Females only receive one barring gene from their mothers, males receive one each from their parents and are double barred; making them appear lighter.

Since that's a very dark barred chick, I can tell that's a pullet. With barred or cuckoo patterned chickens (except male sex links) the pullets and hens are very dark compared to their much lighter cockerel and rooster brothers. This is due to the barring gene. Females only receive one barring gene from their mothers, males receive one each from their parents and are double barred; making them appear lighter.
Thank you 😊 I should have said the breed is a cuckoo Maran, I will post a full body photo tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom